• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmasin

jmasin

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Murphy, TX (DFW)

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

Hi all, I have a new Atlas and I'm still learning.

I understand balancing the OTA in both axes, but my question is about how you do this with different eyepieces. I don't have many, but my 25mm is much smaller and lighter than my 8mm or 8mm+barlow.

What do you guys do when you balance? Or is the difference in the EP weights really just a nit in the whole scheme of things?

Thanks!

#2 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:17 PM

There's some room to fudge it, so you just split the difference and will probably be fine, especially with a big beefy mount like that.

TeleVue has a "equalizer" 1.25-2" eyepiece adapter that is very good to minimize the difference between 1.25" and 2" eyepiece weights. Recommended highly because not only does it do what it's supposed to in that respect, it is also very nicely machined, better than the average adapter.

Mike

#3 jmasin

jmasin

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Murphy, TX (DFW)

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

cool thanks, I'll look into that.

#4 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

Jon, here's a Televue equalizer on Astromart that I noticed a few days ago. From time to time I've thought about trying one out, but haven't gotten around to doing so. I have no relationship to the seller, but if you decide to buy this one, you can remove the temptation to buy this from me! :)

#5 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:04 AM

One thing you can do if your eyepiece weights range from very heavy to very light (as in 31mm Nagler to 5mm Nagler) is make sure when you slew the scope to a new location you have the eyepiece (or one that weighs the same) in the scope that you used when balancing it at the beginning of the session. That will go a long way towards reducing strain on the gears.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics