Photo

T-Point....Worth the money?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:04 PM

Although the GoTo's with the G11 are pretty nice at this point I have been looking at T-Point and all it supposedly can do so my question is this. Is it worth the money if your not running a Paramount ME? Do I need to do plate solving to use it? How accurate is the polar alignment tool with mounts other than the ME?

There is a bunch of stuff I could use the $250 for but if it's worth it I may just consider it.

#2 dpastern

dpastern

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:32 AM

I'm curious about this as well...

Dave

#3 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:28 AM

I can't say to anybody else if T-Point is worth it or not, cause it's not cheap.

I purchased T-Point when I put my 10" LX200GPS running @ F6.3 on a wedge because I wanted to better the pointing performance. After I upgraded to metal gears and trained the drives I was able to get targets on the chip about 90% of the time.

When I installed T-Point I was able to get those targets on the chip 100% of the time, but i would estimate about 50% of the time those targets where know toward the center of the chip.

The key to T-Point is it ability to correct pointing errors that are repeatable. If the errors are not repeatable T-point would be a waste of money at any price. Things like mirror flop or loose or shifting parts cannot be corrected by T-Point.

T-Point also requires a accurate model with valid terms in order for it to work. So without a permanent setup the benefits of diminished. For me creating that model was always a pain in the buttocks. I was never able to get Automapper2 to work correctly so I built the 250+ model for my LX200GPS by hand.

When I purchased my Paramount it came with another copy of T-Point. Since it is a GEM the configuration changed from time to time (different OTAs, cameras etc). Any changes required a new model. Building those models by hand wasn't an option. Fortunately AAG's T-Point Automapper does work. But it uses plate solving to accomplish to task, but it works very well. The down side it requires either CCDSoft or MaxIm Dl and pinpoint to build the model.

If you are a remote viewer or an imager and have TheSky T-Point is a good companion. Is it worth the $250, I don't know.

#4 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

I bought MaxPoint instead and HOLY COW was it worth it. Honestly it was *the* product which unleashed me from getting under the scope and resyncing manually on stars.

Tpoint would be the same way.

MaxPoint did not require plate solving, you nudge nudge nudge and then say "Got it!" and move to the next star.

#5 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

This reflects my experience with T-point as well.

For AP a simple plate solve will get the pointing right, and any of the big 3 automated imaging programs will handle this.

I roll out my equipment....except as a PA tool Tpoint is not useful. And for PA there are a number of better and cheaper alternatives.

So without a permanent setup the benefits of diminished. For me creating that model was always a pain in the buttocks.

#6 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

In a moment of TOTAL and COMPLETE STUPIDITY I completely forgot about Maxpoint. So here I sit with my copy of Maxim V5 Pro suite in front of me. :foreheadslap: :bangbangbang: :woot:

Thanks guys!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics