CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Crescent Moon, Jupiter and Stars Conjunction

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 iceman

iceman

Aurora

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

This morning there was a beautiful conjunction featuring the waning Crescent Moon and Jupiter, less than 2° away.

Looking through the eyepiece at Jupiter, she appeared to have an extra moon in an odd position - in fact it was a field star, HIP105256. The Galilean Moons were close by - Io was right next to Jupiter, with Europa and Callisto a little further away. Ganymede was in transit but was not observed.

I was able to fit the pairing in the field of view of my Canon 350D when attached at prime focus to my Saxon ED80, so I snapped off a few images before heading to work. Unfortunately I didn’t nail the focus and didn’t notice until I’d finished.

While viewing the images on the train, I noticed that the star 29Cap was egressing from being occulted by the Moon. So I combined 8 frames into an animation showing the motion of the Moon through the stars.

Please click the link to see the animation, the full-size image and to read more.

Crescent Moon, Jupiter and Stars Conjunction

Thanks for looking.

Attached Files

#2 Alan Friedman

Alan Friedman

Vanguard

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

A beautiful record of the close encounter, Mike - thanks for posting it.

cheers,
Alan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics