CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can you mount 9.25" Celestron SCT on MiniTower?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 JimWaterford

JimWaterford

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:48 PM

I realize a 8" optical tube would be no problem but will a 9.25" tube be OK? I really do not want to push the MiniTower beyond its capabilities. The MiniTower is great so far with my 4" refractor. Thank you & Best Regards, Jim

#2 Mlehere

Mlehere

Mariner 2

• ****-

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:56 AM

Jim:
This can be done with the 9.25 but modifications to the mount are reccomended. I sent my mount to Trapezium Telescopes in NH and had the bearings replaced with Timken bearings, grease change, gears lapped and field tested. This makes a significant difference in the performance of the mount and increases it capacity. Cost was $300 but entirely worth it.
Mike

#3 Telescopeman54  Happy Birthday!

Telescopeman54

Vendor - Trapezium Telescopes & Services, LLC.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:42 AM

Mike is only one of a number of people that have been using a C9.25 with their Mini Tower. We have at least 8 - 10 other clients that are quite happy with that set up. So, yes, it will work.

At the WSP we even mounted a C11 on the Mini Tower. It was a bit much for the stock mount, but, once we replaced the bearings the owner noticed a huge difference in stability and accuracy.

CS

Steve

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics