•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CG-5 or HEQ5 for unguided photography?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 m00nless

m00nless

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

For short duration unguided photography using either a telephoto lens or a fast refractor which of the two mounts is more accurate?

#2 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

You will get very good results with a CG5-ASGT.

#3 m00nless

m00nless

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

Is the CG5-ASGT really a better mount than the Sky-Watcher HEQ5 (SYNTREK or PRO SkyScan)

#4 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

I've only used the CG5, but I like it's dead on Goto's, ease of setup and alignments, hand controls intuitive interface and updateable firmware, rock solid tripod, and built in ST-4 autoguide port. Even the coffee grinder sound grows on you after a while...

#5 vegasMike

vegasMike

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

IIRC - HEQ5 has a higher factory stated resolution (arcseconds) than the ASGT while maintaining near the same gear ratio and nearly double the microsteps. It may come down to just a higher resolution encoder/electronics package. I cannot support this claim as I dont have the bookmark website handy.

Of course your mileage may vary.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics