Photo

"Now you know the rest of the story"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

For those very young or not from the US, there was a relatively famous and interesting radio announcer for many decades that always ended his news with the title of this thread. So, I want to tell you what is not apparent from the sketch linked below:

A Night with the Trio in Leo
(If you have slow internet, this is about 60K)

Our evening began with setup for a family...single Dad and three kids. The oldest teenage boy was slammed with a car about 2 years ago. He was on a bike. The impact nearly killed him. Now his motor skills are just barely returning; he cannot talk; needs help eating and moving; therapy and doctors are now part of his regular life. We watched his sister and brother take painstaking care of him while we got through a meal, conversation, setup of telescopes, etc. His young brother is a 6th grader studying planets and stars; he loves his older brother who is also sharp but is imprisoned in his battered body. Both wanted to see the telescopes and some sky objects...for the first time. Dad loves them all but also shows the wear and tear of the last two years. He also wanted to see the heavens. It is the first time they had been out as a family in months.

We setup a 4 inch refractor (talking all the time), ate (answering questions nearly all the time), and sauntered out as early as we could to see Polaris, align the scopes, and get Orion in view. Each took their time looking at the nebula then the two children and Dad helped their brother get his head to the eye piece.

Then we took all 4 to the sky shed where Frank, Carlos, Erika, Richard Handy, and our sketches grace the walls. We explained how we teach observing...even for handicapped people, children, or the elderly...and how it helps us actually see and object rather than so quickly forget it.

Then we hooked up the astro video to the same equipment and saw Orion explode in color. I explained details of the cloud folds and color and shadow...all developed from sketching the object a dozen times. When they left, Linda and I gave them our chalk talk M42 sketch on wallboard as a reminder (3 foot x 4 foot pastel sketch). They had a gleam in their eyes. The injured boy payed attention and mentally stayed with the whole event, so I know the time registered.

It got quiet. Thinking about the whole evening and giving thanks at the same time, I swung to the Trio and did a pencil sketch with optics then a pastel sketch using astro video (all with the 4 inch refractor set up).

With a bit of renewed vigor, I am thankful, but especially for the family's visit. Their profuse thanks was a testimony that what they really did was to bless us.

So that is "the rest of the story".

Roland

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

Roland,

A wonderful observation of the Leo Triplet. You have captured a wealth of detail. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

The beauty of the universe is for all of God's children. I hope that the young men you spoke of continue to enjoy it's beauty for a lifetime.

Carlos

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

Truly amazing and what it is all about. Thanks for sharing Roland.

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:56 PM

Roland,
The struggle back from the tragic accident capped by views of the universe, creates a feeling of eternal hope and peace and lessons for us all about life.
NGC 3628 in this trio really looks most impressive in your color sketch. Both of these composite sketches are impressive.

Frank :)

#5 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:15 PM

Thank you for the comments. It was quite a night. The father called us the next day--amazed that the injured son stayed so attentive but still has not seen the sketches developed after they left. They plan to come again and perhaps they will attempt a sketch on the second visit.

Roland

#6 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

What a wonderful story Roland. As someone who takes care of a disabled child(Sophia, 3), it hits home. She is not able to be engaged as much mentally and visually as the teenager in your story, but her older sister(Sarah, 7) has taken to sky watching and wrote a story about what she and I saw a couple of nights back. She then read the report to her sister so she could share. I think she is starting a new type of field, audio (not radio) astronomy.

#7 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Royston. It is truly amazing how a child (or an adult with a mind to survive) can adapt to incredible circumstances. You know how it is. The nice thing about our astrovideo approach is that eyes can be very bad but I can put the person inches from the screen if necessary. There is another person on this thread that also did modeling of the moon craters with clay. Part of his work related to people with no sight at all. Where there is willingness to try things, there is a way to observe, even if its listening through a sister's story. We are writing stories and lessons about observing events for this reason also...they seem to get read by some who cannot hope to observe. That works, too.

Roland

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics