• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:47 AM

The bottom plate is easy to work with. What I did was take it to a machine shop and had them drill and counterbore 3 holes and match them to a 3/8" plate. My pier is a fabricated steel pier that has a plate welded to the top. I just took the plate and drilled 4 holes for 5/8" all-thread for leveling. I have three 3/8" allen head bolts that hold the 250 base plate to the top plate. Very sturdy. In other words, it's not difficult.

Transition to Gemini? Just about everyone will have one frustrating evening...maybe two. For this, you really need to read the instruction manual CLOSELY. If you follow it to the T, it becomes very intuitive. But the learning curve is more than either the Celestron or Meade or Orion. But it does a lot more. You can create a pointing model that's amazing!

Trust me, it's worth the learning curve. And, of course, it's totally adaptable to programs like Sky6. Someday, I'm going to get that part up and working. I have Sky 6 and the adapters, but haven't taken the time to get it working.

And with Larry's changes, this becomes a really attractive mount to someone that really wants to load 'er up.

Go to the CCD section and look for Paul Burke's latest imaging. He goes by f29pc. He has the 250 that I had. He has completely automated his rolloff. His imaging is really amazing!

David

#27 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:18 PM

Hey Joel... somebody over on AM is selling Bobby's old MI250 for what looks to be a pretty attractive price... not sure I can swing $5600 right now, but that's way better than $7250...

maybe you're ready before me on this?

Bobby: any thoughts on its "provenance"?

clear enough skies

#28 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: StonyHill Observatory

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

All I can say is if I had the money right now you'd have seen a SOLD tag on the Ad. It was a beauty Dave. You wouldn't regret it ONE BIT! If you keep it up I can just come up to your house to "Visit" all my old equipment Lol

#29 Joel

Joel

Gemini

• Loc: Merrimack, NH

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

It's not in the cards right now Dave, maybe this fall. I saw a guy from Sunapee NH on AM last year sold an MI-250 with LOADS of accessories, half I didn't need, with an asking price of $5600. I totaled up the new price on the accessories alone and they came up to over $1800. Believe me I did lot's of figuring and came real close to offering him about $4500 cash without the accesories I didn't need and I come up and pick it up but I decided against it.

I'll probably buy a new one as I really like the improvements over the old ones but if someone were "giving one away" I might take advantage of Larry's upgrade plan.

#30 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

yeah - if I weren't so "conservative", I'd just spend the money, economy be darned...

But... good stewardship really says I hafta take a "look and see" at least for the next 2-3 months... if things pickup, then it's a "go"... if not, it's "hunker down"...

Bobby: trust me, I am sorely tempted... $5600 seems a great price; I just don't have enough gear I can sell off to get me "close enough"

Now, if I could bear to part with:
CGE - AND:

Ethoses
31T5 and 22T4 and 3-6Zoom
STV

I might be close enough, but then I'd eventually have to get all that stuff AGAIN! LOL

Argh, the inhumanity! :bawling:

clear enough skies

#31 Jason Glass

Jason Glass

Mariner 2

• Loc: 36°33'9.19"N, 86°40'7.36"W

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:42 AM

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread with interest, since that's my ad on the 'mart.

Bobby, thanks for speaking up on the quality of its performance. I never used it for imaging, and your opinion means a lot. Your great images speak volumes, too.

As I read the thread, I am stumped by how difficult it has been to strike a deal and sell it. Even though it's not the latest version, it really is a mount and accessories that cost $8K new, and performs as such. I have noticed that there have been a few sold in recent years for prices that indicate that the sellers were desperate, or unconcerned about recovering their initial cost, or acknowledging in their price the real state of wear and tear on their mounts. This has given the impression to potential buyers that all MI-250's depreciate fast. DOH!

C'mon guys, buy my mount! ;)

#32 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

I had a new one, bought in April 05, and I sold it in Nov 07 for about $600-800 less than I had in it as I bought it right before a big price increase. If I remember right as it was while ago.

Here is the astromart ad I ran for a couple weeks before it sold, there had been a couple others for sale at the time and for some reason they did not sell at the time.
http://www.astromart...ified_id=528872

I had two reasons for selling, I planned on getting a larger RC type scope in the near future, and I wanted to go past the meridian longer. Oh, and my name came up on the 1200 list. Otherwise I really liked the mount, and I thought the Gemini was great.

My name was also called for the 900 a few months after getting the MI-250 and I did not even consider it at that point.

I also think that the resale of AP mounts will not be quite a high as in the past since they have increased production and the wait times are much less.

#33 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

• Loc: Lexington, SC

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

Does the MI 250 have hard stops at or a little past Meridian?

#34 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:30 PM

If if goes too far the DEC head will hit the side of the RA. I think this would be about 7*+ past. I set my limits at 5* and was fine with that.

#35 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

Does the MI 250 have hard stops at or a little past Meridian?

Larry said it'll image for about 40 minutes beyond the meridian. Hard stops are set by the owner.

David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics