• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

The Object and its Appearance:

M65 is not a hard galaxy to see, and a recent sketch using a 4 inch refractor, which was equipped with an astro-video camera,showed interesting features--not unsimilar to another favorite of mine: NGC 253. While 65 is smaller, it's complex central area and angle of "bank" to my line of sight give it a 3-D appearance: like a bird in flight making a descending turn. Using a 12.5 inch Dobsonian and some moderate settings on the camera, the screen (for study and sketch) reveals beautiful shaping, some color in the central region, and an extended glow well away from the center that has a yellow hue.

The facts:

12.5 inch Dobsonian on a Compact Platform, fitted with a MallinCAM Hyper Color Video Camera (28 second integration mode; 1/3 scaled automatic gain)

Study and sketch using a Sanyo high resolution monitor set at 53% color, about 80% brightness

Black Artagain paper; pastels for the galaxy; white pencil to place the stars and BIC Wite-out Pen to brighten stars and the nucleus to achieve relative brightness seen on the screen; one hour sketch period

The Lesson:

"...For since the creation God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made..." Romans 1:20

It was a good night to give thanks.

Roland

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

Roland,

An excellent observation of M65. You have captured the nucleus, arms, and dust lanes very nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

God does beautiful work.

Carlos

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

Roland,

That is one magnificent sketch of M 65- WOW. :bow: :rainbow: :bow:

Frank :)

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:23 AM

Roland,

Outstanding. I truly love this sketch with the wonderful details you've found. What a wonderful way of sketching it also. Thanks so much for sharing. Your sketch makes me ponder what marvelous things are going on in M65 that are not quite visible.

#5 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:30 AM

Roland --

Nice sketch!

However, that's M66, not M65. The good news is that your sketch is accurate enough to tell. :waytogo:

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

Yep, your right about that. It's M66. I went to both to make sure, did the sketch, then did a brain switch when I wrote it on the sketch. ah ah....maybe that will make it famous like the penny that has the wrong president's head on it!!! :)

#7 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:55 PM

Roland --

He he. The other day I was looking at one of my sketches from earlier this year -- shortly after I switched to using 24H times instead of AM/PM. It says the sketch was done at 10:20 UT (and no, it's not a solar sketch). Oops. :shocked:

-- Jeff.

#8 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

Roland

A beautiful impression of M65! :bow: :bow: :bow: I did one in a similar style of Andromeda but had not finished it as it was on the fly from memory only while I lectured at an observatory a couple years ago. I have not posted it here (yet.) I have always wondered what these DSO's look like through the astro-vid camera. We have a huge astronomy store here, about 30 miles north of Portland. I know they have the equipment. I just never thought I'd use it for sketching.

I may contact them soon. Also do not know if others knew this. John Dobson has stayed there for his classes on telescope building and his cosmology lectures several times. I took Dobson with me to schools in the area to lecture local students in 2003 ~ 2004.

Not to tangent away from your fine posted sketch here but I thought I'd share this with you. It shows the shop (in the opening scenes) in a sort of short 6.5 minute art filmwork we did in collaboration with local college film students for the solar astronomy I have done with the public in my region (it shows the shop, formerly an old church.) The sun is seen live through an astro-vid that we used through the h-alha telescope toward the end of the 6.5 minute film. Then after the end credits and trailer music, wait a few seconds till the 7 minute point for a 2.5 minute CBS TV news story of my 'younger image' on the 10,000 mile road trip is reported from Bismarck ND in 2000. *Note: The news reporters camerman could not get the proper image through the news camera attachment to the scope.) >

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IYYPnsKzrfw

#9 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

Roland,

Was this a galaxy identification test?

#10 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

It was for me, Frank. You would have laughed if you saw how it went. I found the trio with my 12.5, but my Sky Commander and setup is not real accurate. So I sat scratching my head to get oriented, then went to astro video to identify which one was which. I sketched, dutifully did a mental switch between 65 and 66 on the raw sketch, and used my mistaken label from then on...with the wrong galaxy identified. It should have been obvious because the little 3 stars in a curve on one side identify 66 right away, but I believed my label and did not recheck. Hence, my mistake. It makes me smile, because 9 of 10 of my mistakes are private; this one happened to be public. The night before (if you want to laugh some more), I had trouble with my SV102ED -- or thought I had trouble with it -- until I realized I had not taken off the plastic 1.25 inch cover on the telescope side of the 2 inch Panoptic eye piece!! Saturn sure seemed awfully weak and murky until I took it off. Wouldn't it have been funny if I tried to sketch?? Roland ;)

#11 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

Roland,

You are forgiven, I could tell you a few similar tails like the time under a beautiful dark sky I used a variable polarizing filter instead of a neb. filter to look at M-8 and was terribly disappointed at the view. I didn't catch my mistake for quite some time and I was showing M-8 to a group of people which made it much worse. Oh well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics