RegiStax 4 vs 5 - Clavius and Tycho

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 molniyabeer

molniyabeer

Confused and Asleep

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:29 PM

I just installed RegiStax5 and decided to see what improvements I could get vs. version 4. Here are two examples from my first couple of days of dinking around. In each pair, the left image is my best effort using version 4 back in November 08. On the right is the same region processed from the same avi. using version 5. In both pairs I think you can see some significant improvement around Tycho in terms of the surface texture. The first image is a crop of the full frame at prime focus. The second image is a crop of the same region using a 2x barlow. In both cases the scope was a 5" Mak-Cas.

Both of the reprocessed pics were done with a reference frame (limited to 50 and touched up with wavelets). I also used the "estimate alignment points with 64x64 boxes and a spaceing of at least 75).

I think the results show that version 5 does offer some improvements over 4. Not only did I get more surface texture I also could process the full 450 frame avi files without it choking. I was using a StarShoot SSCI II (1/2" chip) so each avi was about 1.4 Gb.

Clear skies.

Attached Files

#2 molniyabeer

molniyabeer

Confused and Asleep

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

Here is the close up of the Clavius region. I noted that the original (v4) frame seems a tad sharper around Clavius but the v5 frame seems sharper overall across the field.

Attached Files

#3 molniyabeer

molniyabeer

Confused and Asleep

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

Here is the full frame of the second shot, processed with RegiStax5.

Attached Files

#4 Chris_H

Chris_H

Aurora

• Loc: Norway

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:17 PM

The first image is a crop of the full frame at prime focus. The second image is a crop of the same region using a 2x barlow

Does that mean you shot two different movies? If comparing you need to process the same movie in both versions. What if the seeing was better in the R5 version?

#5 molniyabeer

molniyabeer

Confused and Asleep

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

Chris,

There were two movies, one with just the camera (first pair) and one with a 2x barlow (second pair). I processed each avi with v4 (left) and then v5 (right) to make the pairs. The third image (single) is the full barlowed avi image with v5.

Sorry if my original explanation was confusing.

Clear skies.

#6 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

Nice stuff! Great shots with 5 inch aperture. Thanks for the comparison. There does look like gains with Ver 5.

#7 molniyabeer

molniyabeer

Confused and Asleep

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

Thanks, Jim.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics