Photo

Help : My Vixen GP-D2 is overloaded.....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rob.0919

rob.0919

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Derby , UK

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:07 AM

Hi everyone.

I have a dilemma : My William optics FLT132 is too heavy to be comfortable on my Vixen GP-D2. The OTA with eyepiece, diagonal, tube rings etc weighs 11kg (24lb)
The Vixen has a payload capacity of 10kg (quoted) but i have a superb Berlebach 'Uni-18' tripod coupled to it.

My Vixen is as as standard so i need to spend more £££ on motors, so before i do this should i consider selling my mount/tripod and upgrading to an EQ-6 Pro(Atlas EQ-G ? )

My interests are mainly visual but i also want to try DSLR astrophotography in the future.

Any input from users regarding pros/cons of the above would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking. Rob.

#2 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

If you are mainly visual, you might want to check out the other threads in this forum regarding the iOptron MiniTower (there are several), especially with the Timken bearing upgrade. I'm going to check one out at NEAF next month.

I used an Atlas for a while. It's an excellent mount, but very heavy for me, as I must have portability. I had a Vixen Sphinx SXD, too for over a year. Another nice mount, eminently more portable than the Atlas as it's tripod is lighter and the mount head weighs less than half of the Atlas, but I recently sold it because I'm drifting away from GEMs. I've kept my CG5ASGT because it's relatively light and easy to set up and has a 35 lb payload capacity. I think on the UK side it is probably equivalent to an EQ5. I know that on this side of the pond one can probably pick one up for less than you can sell your GP2D2 for.

I have a Stellarvue SV130 on order which has similar specs and weight as your WO132. Vic Maris of Stellarvue told me that he thought my CG5 would do fine with it since I'm only a visual observer. However, if I want to dabble in AP, the CG5 will support AP sufficiently to get my feet wet.

That's my :penny: :penny:

#3 Rat8bug

Rat8bug

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

Get a larger mount. I have my WO 105mm mounted on a GP-DX and use it for imaging. But that scope is about the limit I'd use a refractor for. It would be alright to push it close to 28 lb load with an SCT short tube IMO. The GP-DX has a 22 lb load capacity , but that is conservative. In Japan, they mount everything but the kitchen sink on it!

http://www.barrie-ta.../wotriplet.html

Ciao...Barry

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics