Photo

And the clouds continue at my house

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 vennard

vennard

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:51 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Sometime viewer, first time contributor... I’ve been waiting for an opportunity to do some observing and sketching of my own to present in this forum and as the opportunities appear to be slim in doing so, for some time to come, I have devised an alternative program.

I am Mike Vennard, presently residing in the middle of Montana and at this point very frustrated at astronomical observing and sketching possibilities encountered in this very dark sky area, this winter. So when the last clear night occurred and the temperature dropped to just below minus 22 f, I figured out the following. If I obtained a photo of a portion of the moon, studied, sketched and recorded feature particulars for up to thirty minutes (given that is about the time it would take for lighting condition to change sufficiently to alter the scene) and then retire to fill in the blanks while not using the reference photo until done, I might at least get observational and drawing practice. To whit I submit the images below for your review. Images are done in pen and ink and of photos obtained from the Apollo 15 mission photos via U of Arizona web site.

If the drawings are not in keeping with the intent of this forum please let me know and I will refrain from submitting similar images and wait until the skies clear. All comments are appreciated.

This drawing is of Rima Hadley, located near 26n,3.5e. As you can see my drawing medthods fell apart about the time I got to doing the mountain surrounds...to much time between initial sketch and fill work and to little detail work in the initial sketch, a dangerous combination. I think there has to be a compromise as to the amount to sketch and the time on task, somthing to work on.

Mike

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

Mike,

Very nice drawing, it really looks great. Your selection of pen and ink creates a very challenging method of sketching a complex subject. I think at the eyepiece of a telescope, this type of sketching would be way beyond anything I would attempt. I would add that this is a perfect way to practice and from how well this sketch looks I would say you are well practiced. :cool:

Frank :)

#3 vennard

vennard

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:36 AM

Framk,
Thank you for the complements, but I truly need more practice, it has been to long between drawings and each new one teaches me what I knew before, but forgot. At the eyepeace I would only hope to do an exacting pencil sketch with precise annotation for fill and finish off the drawing shortly after. The above drawing is about 3 hours worth of finishing, but the time is worth it as it slows me down preventing more errors than I would make normally.

Below is a picture of the annotated overlay used for reference, something else that needs improvement.

Mike

Attached Files

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:02 AM

Mike

Very impressive sketchwork. :bow: I see nothing wrong with your practicing methods. There have been discussions here about adhearing to sketching from live observation only and rather not to refer from memory only, as they say that this may possibly impart aesthetic/artistic embellishments. You seemed to have surpassed that problem. If the weather does not allow us to see the live image for some time, why not practice from an accurate detailed photograph? It can only stand to improve ones sketching skills. In the process you may also come away with an impressive permanent work of art to display! :cool:

Keep up the good work. I look forward to seing your next efforts.

Mark

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

Mike,

Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Sketching Forum. A very impressive pen and ink observation of Rima Hadley. You have captured an impressive amount of detail over the region.

In my opinion, observations made using images/photographs as a reference may be used if the observer renders what is visible at the eyepiece at the time of the observation and uses the image as a reference for the placement of the major features. Some may object that this is "cheating" but if the goal is the production of an accurate observation then this method may be employed if the observer states that an image/photograph was used in the creation of the final image.

I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#6 vennard

vennard

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

Mark and Carlos

Thanks much for your opinions about the use of photos in rendering. If I must continue practicing in this way I will definitely label any submissions as such. Hopefully the weather will brake soon and I can continue work at the eyepiece. And in addition a thanks to all for the kind comments on the art work itself.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics