• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: StonyHill Observatory

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:35 AM

Well I got the Email yesterday from the fine people at AstroPhysics.......My Mach1 will be ready very soon. Now normally this would be cause fro celebration. Unfortunately I have waay too much on my plate right now and the mirror for my Astrograph is about to ship and.....Well you get the point.

If anybody would like to take my place on the list drop me a PM and let me know. I will gladly let you take my place in line. I truly wish I had the money but timing is everything they say. Let me know.

Thisn is ABSOLUTELY KILLING ME!

CS's

Let's see...I could sell the G-11, sell the ED80......Sell my wife....Oh wait, that last one might not work out that well ;)

#2 tboss70

tboss70

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:03 AM

I dont think anyone can take your place in line...unless you purchase the mount and then sell it to them.

If you dont accept it just goes to the next person on the list, doesn it?

#3 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:06 AM

Thisn is ABSOLUTELY KILLING ME!
============================================================
I know the feeling very well...I've been there! Take my word for it, the best thing to do is simply tell AP that it's too difficult for you to raise the money at this time and let the next guy on the waiting list have a crack at your slot.

I did the same thing years ago that you are doing today. When I finally (after more than 3 years) got my turn to be on the production run, my money situation would not allow the purchase. I went on a popular news group which, at the time, I would go to frequently and offered my spot to anyone who wanted it. While I offered the slot for FREE, I was accused of profiteering and keeping the slot from the next person on the list who has been waiting there as long as I have. Take my advice and don't get involved!

#4 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:22 AM

Just buy it. You won't regret it. If you do, you can easily sell it.

#5 EricCCD

EricCCD

Vanguard

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

Bobby,

Sorry to hear about your situation, but we gotta work with what reality throws at us. At least the wait for AP mounts is not like it used to be, so you can just pass on this for now, wait until your plate clears up, put yourself back on the list afterwards, and know that you won't have to wait 5, 6, 8 years for that mount!

Good luck,
Eric

#6 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

I went through a similar situation - my number came up early (2nd production run I think - back in 07??) and the timing wasn't right so I declined (and it killed me) and then asked to be put immediately at the back of the line. I got my 2nd invitation about 3 weeks ago and I wasn't going to pass it up this time! I should have my mount in April according to AP.

What can I say - I've been real active on Astromart for the past couple of weeks!!

Morale of the story for me is that I did the right thing by waiting. AP's ability to bang out mounts is much improved after the move to the new facility and the waits are likely to be much shorter. By AP standards, my wait after passing up the first was like a blink of an eye, LOL. Now if that 130 GT line would move this fast.....

BTW, I personally think the fairest thing to do here is just decline and let the next in line take your mount instead of letting someone cut in. Letting someone cut in, cuts some other guy (who has been waiting) out.

Doug

#7 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:53 AM

Since your name is up, you could advertise to resell it at a premium to someone who'd rather pay more than wait. I've seen this done in other areas where there were long waiting lists for desirable items.

#8 Dr Benway

Dr Benway

Viking 1

• Loc: Abilene, TX

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:08 AM

Luigi, you really thought that one out well before you posted, didn't you? That's called PROFITEERING.

John

#9 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:16 AM

Hey Doug, did anyone ever tell you your avatar looks like Orson Welles? He must have looked alot like Galileo! :rollgrin:

#10 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

Hey Doug, did anyone ever tell you your avatar looks like Orson Welles? He must have looked alot like Galileo! :rollgrin:

No, you're the first but come to think of it - you're right, LOL !!

"Rosebud"

#11 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:42 AM

Now if that 130 GT line would move this fast.....

One can only hope. :lol:

Bobby,

I'm happy your name came up, but agree the timing doesn't always work out for us. I passed once and my name back back around again. Like Doug said, it didn't seem to take as long the second time.

I really think the right thing to do is to pass and ask them to put your name at the bottom. They are great people to work with and it's worth the wait.

Ron

#12 oldtimer

oldtimer

Apollo

• Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:47 AM

Yes indeed, its called 'Flipping'.

#13 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

Well I sent an email back to Daleen telling them I wanted to be put back on the list. Yes I could have talked the wife into it if I showed her I could have made money but I have such an issue with flipping that I could not do that. I would have gladly purchased it for someone for the exact price it cost which to me is not flipping it. Hopefully the next guy in line is not having to make the same decision I have. And now the wait begins again....

#14 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

Flipping or proffiteering, it's still legit. You want it now, you pay more. Wait and you pay less. Time is money. All dealers charge a markup, for which they supposedly provide some service, one of which is stocking items so that they are immediately available. Is Astronomics profiteering because they mark up everything the sell?

#15 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:05 PM

Bobby,

Don't sweat passing on it. It's just a piece of gear. Your name will come up again. The mounts are moving much more quickly than scopes. Although, it's a personal decision, I'm not into the "flipping" thing. In the past year and a half my name has come up twice for both the AP-900 mount and the Mach-1 mount. Each time I declined, due to personal finances. I haven't lost much sleep over it.

Rob

#16 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

Flipping or proffiteering, it's still legit. You want it now, you pay more. Wait and you pay less. Time is money. All dealers charge a markup, for which they supposedly provide some service, one of which is stocking items so that they are immediately available. Is Astronomics profiteering because they mark up everything the sell?

Although "Legit" as you put it I personally don't agree with it. It makes those individuals with either deeper pockets or less brains able to procure a piece of equipment faster than those who are waiting their turn so to speak. I don't agree with it and that's all that I'll say about it and hopefully all that anyone else will say about it ;)

#17 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

The next guy in line isn't going to wait any longer. If I sell my rights to someone else or flip the mount when I get it so what. :smirk:Mike

#18 Dave LoPresti

Dave LoPresti

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Preston, Connecticut

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:37 PM

Bobby, you're certainly not alone. About two weeks ago, I had gone through the same thing with the Mach1. I had money set aside for it but figured I can wait until next year to get one so I declined as well. My wife thanked me because she knew I had been waiting a while for my name to come up. Once she is working (she's an RN) and we're a bit more secure, I told her I will get back on the list. :fingerscrossed: Then I'll get me a nice CCD too. :lol:
Until then, I'll do fine with what I have and let someone else enjoy the Mach1. :cool:

#19 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

Oh no... that means that I'll likely get the "Daleen" email (again this year) right at a time when I can't act on it (why, oh WHY can't they do this in, say October, when I close my fiscal year and KNOW my situation???)

I came up on both the GTO and 900 last year in April, and had to "go back on the list" at that time, and, when it happens this year, same thing is gonna happen...

I feel for you, Bobby! And, I respect your "no flipping" stand as well...

(Now I'm off to scrounge finances to see if I might be able to say yes to Daleen if/when my email comes...)

Hmmm...

clear enough skies

#20 Rob_G

Rob_G

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Syracuse, NY

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

When people do this with concert tickets it's called "scalping" and it's against the law.

#21 Rob_G

Rob_G

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:40 PM

Well I sent an email back to Daleen telling them I wanted to be put back on the list. Yes I could have talked the wife into it if I showed her I could have made money but I have such an issue with flipping that I could not do that. I would have gladly purchased it for someone for the exact price it cost which to me is not flipping it. Hopefully the next guy in line is not having to make the same decision I have. And now the wait begins again....

:bow: :bow: :bow:

You, sir, deserve a lot of credit for not "flipping" the mount to make a few bucks.

#22 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

• Loc: Connecticut - U.S.

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

Luigi, you really thought that one out well before you posted, didn't you? That's called PROFITEERING.

John

It's also called Capitalism.

#23 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

• Loc: Connecticut - U.S.

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

When people do this with concert tickets it's called "scalping" and it's against the law.

Scalping's only illegal if you're selling the tickets right outside of the venue, on the venue's property. (otherwise selling tickets sports, music, whatever, online would be illegal) I've gotten the best seats at Yankee Stadium from scalpers. I love 'em.

#24 Rob_G

Rob_G

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:30 PM

Scalping's only illegal if you're selling the tickets right outside of the venue, on the venue's property. (otherwise selling tickets sports, music, whatever, online would be illegal)

I'm not going to argue with you, but you're wrong. Obviously, the laws differ from state to state. But in many jurisdictions "scalping" tickets is illegal. Whether they prosecute it or not is another matter.

#25 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

Here we go again - yet another "is it ok to flip to make a buck because I can" threads. Can the "its AP's fault because of their flawed business model/notification list" discussion be far behind, LOL?

Sure, I guess it is "legit" as a lot of you say to buy and then turn around and sell. Something just doesn't seem fair about it but then again, I think you're either raised with that sense or you aren't. Last time I looked, AP had only 2 authorized dealers in the US and neither of them gouge. Maybe AP should get a little tougher with their warranty service (i.e., make it non-transferrable) to thwart all the other self appointed dealers (flippers) out there but I'm sure they don't want the hassle. To be honest, I think the buyers of a flipped scope/mount are just as "guilty" - if they could overcome their desire for instant gratification there wouldn't be much of a problem. I've "made do" with a Losmandy during my wait, just as I "made do" with a TOA130 while I waited for my 140 (question is - why does anyone "need" to have an AP "right now" at a crazy premium? ...I can only think a lot of posers out there with $'s want the bragging rights). The wait just makes me appreciate my AP gear that much more when the day finally arrives.

I think Bobby did the right thing and I applaud him. Some don't - to each his own.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics