My name came up :) But there is a problem :(

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#51 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:57 AM

Well if I was all that intrested I probably would have proofread my post a bit lol

And just to stay on topic......I will re-iterate my thumbs up to the the fellow that started the thread :bow:

Interesting to find someone who is interested in semantics, spelling, punctuation, and definitions.

Dave Boyd

#52 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:21 AM

True.....sad but true. I do agree that women deserve our utmost respect as a gender, after all they do many things that most of us wont, and a few things we cant. Perhaps with the exception of writing our names in the snow and even that isnt a given :thewave:

Nother thumbs up to the guy with principals!! :gve:

Unfortunately just about anything flies to anywhere in this day and age. An individual can only control getting on the plane or not. Also known as "Buyer Beware"

Dave Boyd

#53 dpastern

dpastern

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Strictly speaking, in most cultures, the wife *is* a possession. Even a Christian based marriage implies the same thing - the vows traditionally charge the woman to love, honour and obey the groom, yet no such expectations are made on the groom.

Ultra feminism has caused so many problems in society over the past 40 years, including, imho, the breakdown of relationships (much higher divorce rates), decline in children's manners (highly evident). It's not healthy.

This is predominantly a male forum I suspect, as is the hobby, why should the majority have to conform to make the minority happy?

Anyways, enough said on this subject.

Dave

PS it's just a word (or string of words) - it *only* has power if you give it power.

Strgazr27, please do me a favor and don't all you guys get mad. This is a girl thing. Please do not refer to your significant other as "the wife". To a gal, this term is demeaning; at least to this gal. Thanks. You could say, "my wife, "name" or just my wife; "the wife" makes her sound like a "possession" sort of like "the dog" or "the cat" or "the phone", etc..

Thanks,
Dorothy, "the crabby old lady" :shameonyou: :)

#54 dpastern

dpastern

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

I had the same questions as well. I mean, I could put my name on the list now, with the Aussie dollar @ US 68c, but in 2 years it could be US 40c...that'd make a huge difference in Aussie pricing, especially considering the price gouging that the local government does on imported goods...

Anyways, a bit of bad luck Bobby, maybe next time on the list, things will work out better for you.

Dave

Just wondering, but do you have to put a down payment to get on the list?

No, you just give AP your contact details. No obligation on either side - they don't have to ever offer me a Traveler, for example, but if they do I don't have to buy it.

And can you pay for the everything up front, therefor not having to worry about the funds being there or not when your name comes up because they already have your $$?

Not really (although I guess you can put the money in savings/fine wine/rare stamps/Naglers until notification comes). As there's no guarantee that AP will ever supply you with whatever you're on 'the list' for there would be no sense in paying for it up front.

Once you're notified, you have a month or so to come up with a 50% downpayment, followed by the final 50% before delivery.

#55 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

• Loc: Connecticut - U.S.

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

Oh yeah, how long is the wait? I don't have the $ now, but maybe in 2 years...lol. Or I can sell my car and put wheels on the mount and drive around on it. :grin:

#56 Ben Ritchie

Ben Ritchie

Lost in Space

• Loc: Bosham, UK

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:38 AM

Oh yeah, how long is the wait? I don't have the $ now, but maybe in 2 years...

My guess is "not long" these days - took me 2-3 years to get notified, I forget exactly, but I suspect that the wait list is much shorter now. The wait lists for the bigger AP mounts seem to be pretty much a wait until the next production run if they don't have any on the shelf, and i'd expect the Mach1 to head that way too.

#57 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:43 AM

The mount lists are fairly short these days (on the order of a year or less).

The scope lists are antoher story (on the order of 5 to 10 years).

-- Jeff.

#58 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:44 AM

>>>Nother thumbs up to the guy with principals!!<<<

Being principled doesn't say anything about what those principles are. We like when somebody evinces the same principles we do, and hate when they evince principles we don't agree with, especially when the guy we dissagree with is more highly principled than we are. :lol:

#59 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:33 AM

Hehehehe....you make a valid point :bow:

Greg

Being principled doesn't say anything about what those principles are. We like when somebody evinces the same principles we do, and hate when they evince principles we don't agree with, especially when the guy we dissagree with is more highly principled than we are. :lol:

#60 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: StonyHill Observatory

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:44 AM

I'm asking again that we keep the discussion to the subject of having to say no to "The call" from AP. Not what I call my wife, what my morals are or anything else.....Thanks

#61 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:03 AM

I totally agree Bobby - let's stick to the subject at hand, okay?

#62 btb

btb

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast Indiana

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:28 AM

So I am on the list my name comes up, I buy and take delivery on the mount. I work with it for maybe a month and decide it is not really what I wanted. How much money do I have to lose at resale to make people happy?

#63 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

Les,

I don't think that is at all the same thing as having no intention of using but having every intention of flipping. I don't disagree that upon resale, the best asking price is what the market will bear. I don't think Mach 1 mounts are going to demand the kinds of premiums we've seen in past and nothing like what we see for AP scopes. The mounts are much more widely available and the waits are much shorter than in past.

I could easily fall into the category you just described (although I REALLY doubt it). I'm pretty sure the Mach 1 is what I'm looking for... But if I were to decide to sell it after a month I'd probably put it up for auction on Amart with a reserve at or slightly under what I paid for it (and I would not be surprised if the reserve wasn't reached based on what I've seen lately).

Anyone who wants to sell their place in line for a profit or flip for profit - so be it. They can be happy with their cleverness and laugh all the way to the bank for having added nothing to the process, including value. I don't have to admire or emulate their practice. Nor do I have to apologize for thinking there is something wrong with it. Nor does it make me anti-capitalist and un-American to not put $s first and a fellow amateur on the AP notification list second.

Doug

#64 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:49 AM

Les,
Nothing. You may even make money on it.

Rob

#65 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:58 AM

I'd say it is more of your intent when you buy it from the beginning.

If you want to try it and see, then sell it for what you have in it. If you know you don't want it, why not let the other guy on the list have a shot at it.

That is how I got mine, a friend had taken delivery of a 900 several months before his name came up for the MAch1.

His plan was to use the 900 at home and get a Mach1 for field use. Well after using the 900 and seeing how it was not a big deal moving he was not sure the Mach1 was going to be a big difference.

He asked me, and several other friends, if he got it and it was not worth keeping both, if any of us would take it from him at cost. At the time he could have sold if for a premium on AM.

Long story is he tried it and then I ended up with it, and my name was called soon after I got it from him anyways, so I declined.

Maybe I was in the wrong? Don't know but I was on several AP mount lists for about 3-4 years before I finally ended up with one. Now if someone just took delivery on a 140 or 130 and wanted to sell it for what they paid, please contact me :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics