Photo

Dovetail plates and saddles advice for Mach 1?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

I'm trying to "dress" my soon to arrive Mach 1 and also streamline/reduce the nightmare of different plates and saddles I've accumulated to mount different scopes on different mounts over the years. One of my plans is to now "standardize" things a bit by going with 13.5" Losmandy plates for my 105 and 140 (and retiring my DOVE08).

I realize an 8" saddle (such as the one AP sells) will handle the 13.5" and give me room to slide things back and forth for balance. However, I want to eliminate the possibility of flexure as much as possible (esp. with the 140 beast) and a 12" Robin Casady seems like it might be ideal in this regard (AP makes an 8 & 16 but no 12). I'll certainly have room to slide the OTA within the rings and it looks like the Casady plate can also be mounted off-center to help with balance if necessary.

So - any thoughts? Would I be making a mistake going with a 12" saddle or am I just making too much of this? Hard to imagine that a 13.5" plate is going to flex much in an 8" saddle.

BTW, I already own 3 8" Casady saddles (used in a tandem bar arrangement) so I don't plan to buy another 8" in any event so I guess I could always swap out the 12" saddle for some set-ups. My impression is that the Casady saddles are a little nicer and beefier than APs - would anyone disagree with that claim?

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:40 AM

I have been using my 140 with the 8" AP saddle.

#3 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

Doug,

I have a 12 inch Casady saddle and it's a great piece of gear. It can be offset, if needed.

I cannot imagine you needing anything longer than an 8 inch for your scope. A 13 inch dovetail is going to have little overhang and I just don't see a 140 causing that to flex.

But if you want to swap for one of your 8 inchers, let me know. :lol:

My .02,

Ron

#4 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

Thanks Luke and Ron - I will get the mount with the AP 8" saddle and use it with the 13.5" plates.

Ron, I might take you up on that offer to trade the 8 Casady for your 12, but I'll try living with the 8 for a while and see what I think.... BTW, which part of cloudsville VA do you live in? I'm in cloudsville/c'ville and man, hasn't that been the truth for the past couple of weeks !!??

#5 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

12" cassady on both my Mach1 and 1200. I like that they are both tilt in aswell.

#6 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:39 AM

Doug,

I'm up in Gainesville. This month started off great, but has been terrible since. I feel sorry for the Messier Marathon guys in my club. This is the second year in a row they have been defeated by weather. :(

I have downsized my scopes and could get by with the 8 incher, but I prefer the Casady saddle over anything else and will keep it for now. :cool:

Ron

#7 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:05 AM

12" cassady on both my Mach1 and 1200. I like that they are both tilt in aswell.

I've not seen an AP saddle for Losmandy D series - I assume it is tilt in as well, no? My DOVE8 is tilt in for sliding bars. Or maybe "drop in" is a better description.

#8 mnaf

mnaf

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bay Area, CA

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

I'll chime in, although it appears you've made your decision. I was faced with the same question - what saddle to use on the arriving Mach1. I'm starting from scratch w/o exisitng plates so I chose AP's new DOVELM162. With a 13.5" plate there's not much if any sliding room for balance, however, the saddle offers a varitey of mounting positions to compensate. It's remarkably light - I think lighter than the 14" DMM I plan to use for short f/l scopes! It might even work with a 7" plate with one clamp tightened (with a hex). I plan to use it with a 24" plate for a reflector, too.

I was worried about flex as well - a call to the great folks at AP convinced me that the 16" saddle was best for my reflector and a 14" DMM with Los. clamps should work well for refractors.
And..it's a really beautiful piece of work! :)

My 2 cents...

P.S. It's tilt-in as well and it uses wide blocks to clamp the plates as opposed to the 8"'s pins. I'm not familiar w/ Cassidy saddles...

#9 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

The AP 8" is a tip in.

#10 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

Hmmm ... similar question for me ... I have a TEC140 coming, to mount on an altaz. I could go either the AP Dove8 direction or a Cassidy saddle. Is there any difference in rigidity/stability?

Thanks,
Rob

#11 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

I have 3 Casady 8" saddles, they are very nice and certainly up to AP standards. I must confess though, I'm not as thrilled with the idea of the brass pins (as opposed to a clamp) on the AP version. I do have a DOVE8 for the 7" AP sliding bar which uses an "angled" brass pin and I must admit it works just fine.

The individual clamps on the Casady dovetail have 2 steel guide pins each, captive knobs and are "springed" - all nice touches, IMO.

The Casady 8" is more expensive than the AP version.

#12 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

If this helps, I have the AP 8 inch on my AP600, all of which handles my TEC 140 with no problems, and I've piggybacked a TV76. The pins work very well, and the tip in feature is smooth and effortless.

The only difference is that I'm using the TEC 12 inch plates (Losmandy compatable).

Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics