CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Color or Monochrome DMK?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 G. Hatfield

G. Hatfield

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

I'd like to buy a DMK camera for my Solarmax 60. I'm specifically interested in color images of the sun. Do images from the color DMK cameras have noticeably poorer resolution than the monochrome cameras? I have tried colorizing monochrome images, but the results are less than satisfactory (see attached).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attached Files

#2 Mert

Mert

Skylab

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

I remember to have read quit a lot of info just
about this kind of question on this forum.
Join and browse, I'm sure Rainer will help you out!!

#3 imjeffp

imjeffp

Aluminum Falcon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

Aren't narrowband solar images essentially greyscale to begin with? Unless you're overlaying a white-light image, there's no color to begin with.

I don't see anything wrong with your colorized sample myself!

#4 Bart Declercq

Bart Declercq

Messenger

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

H-alpha is a specific wavelength of Red light. If you were to use a color camera, the only pixels recording anything useful would be the red pixels, the others simply will be black and useless.

So for H-alpha imaging, using a color camera brings exactly *zero* additional value, on the contrary you will lose a lot of useful information.

You're much, much better of using a monochrome camera and colorising the result - as another posted remarked, H-alpha is actually "mono-chrome" imaging anyway (mono = single and chrome = color).

And I don't see anything wrong with your colorisation either.

#5 Gus_Smedstad

Gus_Smedstad

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:10 PM

I think that image is great, actually.

- Gus

#6 chris go

chris go

Apollo

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:48 PM

H Alpha is essentially monochrome. Using a monochrome camera will give you a better resolution. You can go to my site to see some HAlpha images using the DMK.

http://astro.christo...ansit/index.htm

Regards,
Chris

#7 G. Hatfield

G. Hatfield

Viking 1

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:47 PM

Thanks for all the input. I did join the DMK Yahoo group and found what I needed. Monochrome it is!

George

#8 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

George, excellent observatory! You must get a ton of good seeing nights out there in the desert. Can't wait to see some future planetary shots with your setup

Regards,
Steve

#9 G. Hatfield

G. Hatfield

Viking 1

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

Thanks Steve. I bought a DMK21 firewire from OPT. It was actually on sale ("used, but like new"). Now I have to figure out how to use Registax, etc.

Yes, the weather is very good for astronomy in Las Cruces, especially in the winter. We have a great club here too (Astronomical Society of Las Cruces) with lots of very good imagers to learn from.

George

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics