Turn your older MI-250 into a new MI-250

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Sanqunetti

Doug Sanqunetti

Mariner 2

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

Hi everyone,

Larry Myers of Mountain Instruments made an announcement on the MI-250 Yahoo group about a MI-250 retrofit program. Larry said he would take an older MI-250 go-to mount and bring it up to today's MI-250 standards. His goal is to keep the price under $2000.00. Larry said that after the changes, it will be hard to tell the difference between your older mount and a new one. The list of updates include: New rocker base assembly, new gears, new worm bearings, new style saddle plate, new smooth counter weight shaft and modified counter weights, new clutch knobs, etc. etc. I have not seen the announcement on the website, only in the yahoo group.

I just got off the phone with Larry and put my name on the list to get upgraded.

Best Regards, Doug

#2 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

new style saddle plate

I must say that I am disappointed with the new saddle that uses two independent clamps. What Celestron has done with the CGE Pro saddle is much better. It is always safer to slide in a 14” SCT than tip in. The CGE Pro saddle has a nice cut out at the front which helps to engage the dovetail. I have done a similar modification to my CGE.

#3 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:37 PM

Goes to show that different strokes for different folks applies with saddles. I find that the tip in saddle makes my life much easier, especially when I had a C14.

David

#4 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:05 AM

I find that the tip in saddle makes my life much easier

The CGE Pro saddle works as the tip-in and slide-in saddle. First you tip in and then you slide in.

#5 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but the MI saddle or the Losmandy or ADM tip in lets you tip in the scope then slide it to whatever postition you need it to be.

As far as I know, the only difference between a saddle that is tip in and that isn't is the fact that the clamping section opens up far enough to allow the dovetail to fit in between the clamping surface and the other side of the saddle. MI adds 2 strips to the bottom of the saddle to ease sliding the scope back and forth for balancing. However, with that ease of sliding comes the risk of letting go and having the whole thing come crashing down. IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP: Always make sure that the little safety screw is in place on the dovetail.

David

#6 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but the MI saddle or the Losmandy or ADM tip in lets you tip in the scope then slide it to whatever postition you need it to be.

Take a careful look at the image below. With the CGE Pro saddle you just tip in the end of the dovetail and then slide in the remainder of it. There is no danger that the OTA can loose balance and tip over to a side and fall down and you will not be able to stop it from crashing to the ground A regular tip-in saddle is down right scary with large OTAs.
B.T.W. The CGE saddle can be ‘converted’ to a tip-in saddle. There is a bolt on the side behind the clutch knob that can be loosened up to open the jaws wider.

Attached Files

#7 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

Take a careful look at the image below. With the CGE Pro saddle you just tip in the end of the dovetail and then slide in the remainder of it. There is no danger that the OTA can loose balance and tip over to a side and fall down and you will not be able to stop it from crashing to the ground A regular tip-in saddle is down right scary with large OTAs.
B.T.W. The CGE saddle can be ‘converted’ to a tip-in saddle. There is a bolt on the side behind the clutch knob that can be loosened up to open the jaws wider.

I see the beveled ends. I'm not so sure that it's any better than tipping in the other way. I modified my dovetail before I had a tip in to do just what the beveled saddle does. You don't have much of the dovetail plate sitting on the saddle and one little twitch and it'll nosedive right off of the saddle.

In the end, since I have an obs, I set my 12" Meade in and that's where it sits. For someone that uses it for a lot of travel, if it were me, it would be no larger than a C11 which is very easy to put in a mount at 28lbs. The Pro is not what I'd call a mount that you'd want to be toting around alot. My CGE was enough of a pain.

I do like the full length jaw on the Pro. That's a good idea.

David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics