Photo

CGE arrives....Digging begins!!!!(for Pier)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 Doug6952

Doug6952

Apollo

• Loc: West Milford, NJ

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'll get the CGEM. Still haven't sold the CG-5 yet though. So a new scope may have to wait for a bit till I sell the mount.

#27 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

Looks good!

#28 coopfore1

coopfore1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: il

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:41 PM

EXCELLENT Nice job !

#29 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

FIRST LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:woohoo: its about dang time!! :lol: :cloudy:

First off I can say,WOW..this mount IS OBS class...I have NEVER used anything this,powerful,consistant,sounds like a HIGH precision insturment..NOT like a coffee grinder (*BLEEP*-GT,LXD,etc),with ONLY 1 iteration of the PA routine I had a PA inaccuracy of only ~2'x~3'....It would take me an hour to drift align tht close..This only took ten minutes!!!!

So,initial setup was interesting as I was used tp the ASGT..it took me only a half hour to feel completely comfortable with the controls..VERY user friendly..
After I finally realized I could just skip over the "switch" position I was up and running...
First I did a 2 star alignment,followed by adding 3 cali stars..then the PA routine..which the VERY 1st time went from an inaccuracy of ~1deg x 50' and change,down to 2'x3'..which is MORE than sufficient for narrow FOV imaging..
I decided to try again..
Shut it back off and then on.
Ran 2+3 alignment again,then the PA routine..
Centered polaris..but,I forgot to check the inaccuracy when I re-initiazed/calibrated the mount...
So,I inserted my SX-HX916 and tried doing some mono imaging..
The SX sw that comes with these old cams,well..it is REALLY archaic...
The only thing I know that is compatible with this cam is AstroArt,but at $189..IDK if I will be able to swing that...
ANYWAYS,back to my first light,
SO,I focused the cam on the last cali star..
and hit GOTO to M66..take a 30sec "framing" shot,DEAD CENTER..DEAD...I couldnt believe it,the *BLEEP*-GT would NEVER be able to do that..not with my gear..which BTW,I was using the 106mm Achro for imaging as this was JUST a test..

Well,needless to say I was not able to actually aquire any images before I had to pack it in...I REALLY need to get new SW for this cam...IT SUCKS...

Anyways,that was my first light with the CGE...
but what about the Pier you say? :lol:
Held that sucker in place like it was,well,a SOLID Pier.. :rofl5:
I have NEVER used such a solid setup in my life...all I can really say about this experience is:
This WILL be with me for QUITE some time,not ONLY because of the "economy" but also because,I am floored at how well it preformed...I have NO DOUBT this will scroll that 10" newt around the sky and grab some photons VERY WELL!!My ol' CI-700 was able to AG the 10" EXTREMELY well..so,the CGE should handle it NO PROBLEM..ESPECIALLY,when I get a new CF tube for it :jump:

Yay!!!Great first light feeling! :lol:

So,now,pretty bad skies for the next week or 2.. :nonono:

#30 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: IN

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:37 PM

Great Brent.I am also going to order a CGE for my observatory.Just ordered a adapter plate for my pier.Well keep us posted and some pics.Good luck BOB

#31 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

Thanks Bob!!!
Good luck with your "GEM" :rimshot: :lol:
I CANT WAIT to put an OBS around my Pier and GEM..man,that would be SUUUWWWWEEEEET!!!
Brent

#32 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:14 PM

Brent I so want a CGE... I've been looking at them for a while now, and even had to pass on a screaming deal on a hypretuned mount a while back. I may have even been tempted by the one you have (AMart?) but I went with the CGEM and I am probably as happy with that upgrade as you are with the CGE. I am planning a pier in the near future but the distance from the house (approx. 50 yds.) and the associated trenching and and wiring keep putting a damper on the idea as my current spot is closer to the house is really easy.

#33 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

Hey Gary,
I have heard GREAT things about the CGEM,mainly that it is a big step above the ASGT...I couldnt stand mine after a month or two..for some reason it just started being WAY too picky about wanting to AG...

I found mine through my want AD..I dont think the guy actually had an AD up yet..he might have though.. :shrug:
I couldnt pass it up.. $2200 SHIPPED for everything stock PLUS GPS,Cassidy SS CW(15lb),Cassidy tip in saddle,AND a set of ADM tripod knobs..my wife FLIPPED,but,I couldnt pass it up :lol:
There have been some REALLY nice deals on CGE's lately on Amart..did you see the one with PE of only 6.82 arc*sec PEAK to PEAK!!!???I wish I had the money or I would have picked that one up as well...a man can never have enough CGE's,but thats jjust my :penny::penny: :rofl2:
About the trenching to your new site..
You can rent a walk behind trencher from an Equipment rental place for ~$150 a day(Maybe cheaper,its been a while..)...OR,just get an irrigation trencher(FWIR,they run ~$40-50 a day..it is basically a BIG round saw blade with teeth sticking out every couple of inches,it just "cuts" right through normal ground materials..)..depending on what kind of cabling you are running..an irrigation trencher will dig a trench about 4-5" deep and about 1-2" wide..MORE than enough for a couple of direct burial cables..
I used 12/2 UF cable and a flat shovel to just "wedge" a hole in the ground by driving it in,and then moving it back and forth creating a sort of "V" cit in the ground..worked like a charm..but I only had ~30' to go,but it wasin some pretty hard clay/dirt..
Again,a pier is WELL worth ALL the effort you put into it..BUT,if you can use POWER tools and save your back..DO IT!!! :lol:

Good luck

BTW,any more questions you have just shoot me a PM,I would be more than glad to help you out..I have worked in construction since I was 16..I am an Electrician,so I could "guide" you through the process... ;)

#34 Project Galileo

Project Galileo

Viking 1

• Loc: Jefferson County, Colorado

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

Well done. Sounds like you will enjoy the new stability and accuracy.

#35 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

Brent, Many thanks for the tips and assistance offer!! Probably the one thing that makes me hesitate is the soil (if you can call it that) composition I'll have to traverse to get to the pier site. We sit on white clay sand (precursor to sandstone) and the last 10 yards or so are black adobe. I rented a small walk behind trencher once and trashed it in a matter of 50 feet. They sent out a large articulated steering walk behind that did a good job, but it was a beast to operate. There's also our driveway that will have to be dealt with, and even though it's only DG on top of the clay sand, it has a tendency to make operating the trencher something like a rodeo!! So actually the pier and wiring are the 'easy' phases of the job. Where I set up now I have NNW to NNE obstruction (the house) to about 30 degrees. All other horizons are wide open, max 15 degrees. So it's actually pretty awesome, and close to the house and ammenities as well. The pier will be the beginning of the Dog House, my observatory...

#36 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

My CGE should be here next thusday.I went ahead and got a new one so I could get a warranty.The new price is quite fair it seems.Anyone need a CGE tripod.My CGE will be pier mounted.Will post pics when mounted.Thanks BOB

#37 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

• Loc: Connecticut - U.S.

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

I got my CGE last Thursday. Finally got it out for it's first light (well 3rd first light, as I'm the 3rd owner) last night. I LOVE IT. Works perfectly. I'm just happy I didn't have to learn the hand controller because I've already owned a Celestron (130SLT) so I kinda knew the set-up already.

I LOVE the Polar alignment routine. Don't know why, I just do. I find it more enjoyable then looking through my Atlas's Polar scope. And the altitude is a PITA to adjust on an Atlas. On the CGE, it's easy.

And Starbob, don't sell the tripod. You might need it someday - or if you sell the mount eventually, it'll be easier. I would not have purchased my CGE if it didn't have a tripod, and the previous owner had it on a pier and didn't use it. Just put it away somewhere, you'll thank me later...

#38 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

I'll second the suggestion to keep the tripod.

The dealer that I do business with is also a public observatory as well as a Celestron dealer. I was going to buy one of their CGE mounts that they were done with, but they didn't have a tripod. I asked them to see about getting me a tripod. It turns out that they are waaaaay expensive to buy by themselves, even at their cost.

-Wade

#39 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:57 AM

Yea Randy Wade your right.I will just put it back.You never know'one day I might get another mount and have to sell the CGE.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics