Photo

Orion astroview eq

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 sipster

sipster

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:02 AM

Hi everyone, I have an astroview eq mount that I will soon be putting a TV85 on. My question is...there is a little movement or "shake" if you will in the mounting plate part of the mount. I've tightened everything possible,...and still it is there. Anyone else experience this?
Marty :question:

#2 Brian Sacco

Brian Sacco

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:19 AM

I've been making adjustments to my EQ3 mount, and I noticed that the mounting plate moved a little too. There was play in the declination axis from a loose fit between the worm gear and the declination gear.
Where the declination control knob connects to the housing, there are two silver allen screws and a smaller black allen screw between them. There are also another two silver allen screws underneath. The two upper silver allen screws adjust the tension between the worm drive gear and the declination gear. The smaller black allen screw puts tension between the plates so that you can adjust it just right, and keeps it from being set too tight. If you have this kind of setup, then try unscrewing the small black allen screw, just a little bit, and tighten the silver allen screws. It will take a few trys to get it just right.
Brian

#3 Brian Sacco

Brian Sacco

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:29 PM

I also noticed that there is slop between the declination worm gear axle and the housing it sits in. There's a rubber O ring that needs to be compressed to take the slop out. Where the declination control knob attaches to the brass axle, you'll see a nut and a threaded collar nut with two slots in it. Loosen the nut, and take a flat head screw driver and a hammer and tighten the threaded collar nut. Then attach the nut to secure it. It will make the declination axis a lot tighter and remove the slop.

#4 sipster

sipster

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

Thanks Brian. I'll give that a try.
Marty

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics