Telescoping Legs Tripod for ST-80

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DSalters

DSalters

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

I am looking for a lightweight but sturdy enough tripod for a potential Short Tube 80mm f/5 refractor that I would like to purchase. I will be building a simple alt-az mount for it that is similar to many available commercially.

I know that many of the lightweight aluminum tripods with extending legs that slide between other legs would be a lightweight solution but I want something less bulky.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Daniel

#2 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

My guess is that there is not much available that is more light weight and compact than the telescoping aluminum tripod. Since you are only using a shorty 80mm, it will probably be more than enough if (and this is important) you add a means to put the tripod under tension. You can make your own tensioning device by looking at the pictures on my web page. If you should have any questions, contact me for help. www.alsastro.com

#3 DSalters

DSalters

Viking 1

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

Al, when you refer to the telescoping aluminum tripod, is there one that has cylindrical legs rather than two square tubes with one between them?

I find this one too bulky (although it would be adequate in stability) Square Aluminum Legged Tripod
I am looking for something more like this (but the tripod only, not the mount) Single Cylindrical Legs

The Sky View tripods Sky View Tripod look excellent and have the simple extending legs like I would want, but is likely too heavy and too large with steel legs for an ST-80. If there was something similar on the market with aluminum legs like this, I'd jump on it! I am not too familiar with tripods since I have always been a Dob user so I need some direction here... :confused:

#4 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

Daniel,

When I made a reference to telescoping aluminum tripod, what I had in mind was the first link you showed...Square Aluminum Legged Tripod. The Sky View tripods are a superior design and are much more rigid than the Square Aluminum Tripod. However, the Square Aluminum tripod is much lighter in weight and will be far more rigid with a tensioning device (such as the Leg Locker shown on my web page) and will rival the performance of the much superior Sky View tripod.

#5 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

Probably more bulky then what you're looking for, but alot of us have been happy with it.

Oberwerk Wooden Tripod - Blems

Cheaper one here.

#882 telescope tripod

If telescoping legs are crucial, then a Bogan 3001 or similar maybe what you are looking for. ;)

#6 DSalters

DSalters

Viking 1

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

Yes, the Bogen 3001 does look much like what I am looking for. Bogen seems to have a ton of different but very similar looking tripods. How do these compare in price with similar tripods of other brands?

#7 mwedel

mwedel

Works with Sauropods

• Loc: Claremont, CA

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:31 AM

Hi Daniel, nice to see you out here again. ;-)

I am not sure whether your ultimate concern is light weight, or the ability to fold up to a small size, or cost, or some combination of the above. But here are some thoughts anyway.

I recently bought a Manfrotto 190CXPRO 4 for my 90mm Mak, and it is very stable yet folds up very small. Of course, it was also not cheap. I found the Manfrotto website to be pretty useful for navigating through the various tripods they offer. They have a system of little icons that tell you max extended height, closed length, weight of tripod, max weight it can support, and so on. A good place to start is here.

Another possibility would be a cheap survey tripod from Lowe's or Home Depot, I believe you can pick one up for $50-80.

However, the coolest thing I've seen in tripods lately, and the one most likely to appeal to your ATM instincts, is this one made from wooden crutches!

Keep us posted on your tripod adventures...good luck and clear skies.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics