Photo

My first Saturn pt.2!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 sunrutas

sunrutas

Messenger

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:07 PM

Hi, all!

About a week ago, I posted some of my humble attempts to capture saturn.

Well, I can only agree with the old saying: You live, you learn...

As I use the DBK camera, I would of course wanted the avi´s to be debayered in registax, wouldn´t I?
Apparently not, the first time around, as I forgot to click on the debayering option!!

I reprocessed all of the first avi´s again, plus a couple newer, this time using debayering!
Suddenly, there was colour, and a whole lot of more details!

What I dont understand is why the processed pictures taken with my friends Orion Optics 8" newton, as well as the ones taken with my OO 8" Europa Newt. show less colour than the other pic´s taken with the Vixen ED100SF and the OO OMC 140 mak?

I have used an UV/IR cut filter with the camera.

Here´s my very first picture of Saturn again, taken with the Vixen ED100SF, with "correct" processing:

Attached Files

#2 sunrutas

sunrutas

Messenger

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:09 PM

Here´s another one from that session, shot with my friend Magnus´Orion Optics 8" 1/6 ptv Newton.

Seeing was mediocre.

Attached Files

#3 sunrutas

sunrutas

Messenger

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:12 PM

This picture is shot, using my Orion Optics OMC 140 Mak.
I suspect that it may be in need of collimation, as there is a "shadow" of Saturn, present in the picture..

Attached Files

#4 sunrutas

sunrutas

Messenger

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

This is my latest image, taken with my Orion Optics 8" 1/4 ptv Europa Newtonian.
The seeing was pretty bad... -but as on the picture shot with the other reflector, it lacks a lot of colour, compared to the other telescopes.

Kind regards/Roger!

Attached Files

#5 Chris_H

Chris_H

Aurora

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

That's weird. I couldn't extract any color at all... Maybe if you post the camera settings it would be easier to pin down the problem ;)

#6 sunrutas

sunrutas

Messenger

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:40 AM

Hi!

Yep, it´s very wierd!
I have tried to process all the avi´s taken with the reflectors with the same result: very little colour.

The camera settings were the same as the shots taken with the refractor/Mak -Cass, except for the exposure time.

The shutter speed was 1/30 sec. with the refractor/Mak -Cass, and 1/38 -1/45 sec. with the reflectors.

Gain was set nearly at maximum, brightness and the colour settings were set on a value "in the middle".

The only difference is that no IR/UV block filter was used when the OO 8" 1/6 ptv. reflector was used.

I will try re -processing a couple more avi´s tonight, to see if I have missed something!

Any help is appreciated!

Kind regards/Roger!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics