Own an M1 - should I get a Voyager?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 islandsteve11

islandsteve11

Vanguard

• Loc: World Class LP of Las Vegas

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:45 AM

I've been happy with my SV M1 alt-az for my 80ED and have read it will handle a 90mm, which I plan on buying soon (TMB92L at ~7-8 lbs). Has anyone compared an M1 with a Voyager? I like the Voyager's slo-mo controls (never used them before) and bigger capacity. Trying to decide of I should get the Voyager now or wait and save for a MiniTower. Any feedback would be appreciated.

#2 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

• Loc: N.E. WI Sky Glow

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

Depends on what your viewing habits are with an Alt/Az mount. The slo-mo controls are great for high power viewing. I find zero image movement in the EP when using the controls, after doing a review on the Voyager last year, I finally ordered one for myself.

#3 islandsteve11

islandsteve11

Vanguard

• Loc: World Class LP of Las Vegas

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:25 AM

Thanks Chris.

I read your review of the Voyager a year ago when it came out and several times since. Good review. Other than the standing height issue, which I've read can be soved using the exention tubes for the Orion SVP mount (I prefer to observe seated) and the better settle times with either a wooden tripod or the 2" steel tripod of the CG-5, I've read of few, if any, complaints about the Voyager. I've been leaning toward the Voyager.

Clear Skies

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics