• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:31 PM

The Facts

The evening was a classic early spring night for Virginia that was complete with rushing clouds and gusty winds that follow a front passage. Temperatures were dropping fast. Patches of clear sky showed twinkling stars, which is a sure sign of atmospheric instability. It took 20 minutes to align the 8 inch telescope because key stars kept disappearing in cloud cover. I had chosen a crater to sketch on the day-4 crescent moon by studying a screen that was fed an image from an astro-video camera (1/6000 sec exposure). The image was so wavy that lunar details were hard to see. I picked up pastels to start and clouds obliterated the view. I quickly looked out of the observatory pod to see a beautiful view as the heavy cloud banks passed the setting moon. I shifted paper quickly and did a quick eyes-only sketch. After 15 minutes of work the clouds covered the moon. I took a break for just a few seconds. The clouds cleared in the west long enough to do a quick return to the screen image for a sketch, but the sky turbulence was so bad the craters could not be sketched. Mare Crisium, however, was beautiful at a magnification of 254X, so I changed targets again. The poor conditions forced me to look at overall features, which were marked by indistinct mottled topography around its edges. The scene became the second sketch. Incoming clouds deteriorated the image after 35 minutes that forced the end to the session.

The first sketch:

Attached Files

#2 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

The second sketch is below.

The lesson for me comes out of a simple but profound and well-known verse in Proverbs 3:5-6 that says 'trust the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will direct your paths'. The passage is not usually taken literally but I do take that way. Too many times I have found He will lead me if I am willing. After changing targets and medium in a fast sketch period, I could not help but remember the passage.

The second sketch:

Attached Files

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

Roland,

Your sketches here are haunting beautiful. I enjoy the crescent moon from a distance and from the scope.

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:28 AM

Roland,

These are two fine sketches. :rainbow: :bow: You did not describe my favorite conditions for sketching. I admire your perseverance.

Frank :)

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:17 AM

Roland,

Two outstanding sketches of the naked eye Moon with changing weather and the Mare Crisium region. It is the prepared observer (as in life) that catches the moments of opportunity. May the Lord always show us the path.

Carlos

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

Thank you Carlos, Frank, and Jay. It was another one of those surprising nights for me but a distinct pleasure as I looked back and saw what happened.

Roland

#7 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

Roland,

These are very fine sketches, my friend! :rainbow:

#8 darkstar528

darkstar528

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Hodgenville, Kentucky, USA

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

Very kewl sketches!!!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

#9 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:08 AM

thank you Rony and Stephen....i am finding it really valuable to learn how to grab a eyes-only sketch quickly...it's starting to pay off.

roland

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics