5 replies to this topic

#1 kiarash

kiarash

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Esfahan , Iran

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:59 AM

hi folks,
how can I connect my LXD75 Meade to the pc?
I know that it needs a special cable , but I dont know how to make it because it's not avalible in Iran.
thank you everyone.

#2 usnao95

usnao95

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Port Richey, Fl

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:18 AM

Yes you can, you need a Meade #505 Connector Cable Set.

#3 Fish

Fish

Viking 1

• Loc: Norridgewock, ME

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:22 AM

Kiarash,

You will need a cable to go from the AutoStar to the PC. This is a 3-conductor serial connection operating at 9600 bps, 8 bits, No parity, 1 stop bit and no flow control.

The AutoStar port is an RJ-6 connector; this is a 4-pin plug used on the typical telephone handset. This is NOT the same as the RJ-11 that connects the phone to the wall. Be sure you get the right one. Your best bet would be to get a replacement handset cable and cut it in two. This avoids you needing the special crimp tool for these plugs.

The PC end will need a DB-9 or DB-25 female connector, depending on your computer's requirements.

For this discussion, we will assume that you hold the RJ-6 connector such that the locking pin is down (the pins are up) and the cable attaches on the end towards you. If we then define the pins as 1-2-3-4 left-to-right, then wire according to the following:

RJ-6 Pin 1 --> DB-9 pin 2 (or DB-25 pin 3) TXD
RJ-6 Pin 2 --> DB-9 pin 3 (or DB-25 pin 2) RXD
RJ-6 Pin 3 --> NO CONNECTION
RJ-6 Pin 4 --> DB-9 pin 5 (or DB-25 pin 7) GND

Once you do this and hook it up, it should work. Since the communication is serial you will either need a program that translates the desired commmands to the proper serail command string or write your own. For basic connectivity, Windows HyperTerminal is the easiest.

Good luck!

Regards, Marc

#4 usnao95

usnao95

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Port Richey, Fl

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

can't you just order the cable online?

#5 kiarash

kiarash

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Esfahan , Iran

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:33 AM

thank you dear Mark.
one additional question.
why I need a software?
may i use starrynight or anything else for operating the telescope?

dear Eric ,
websites and shopping centers dont send anything to Iran. and its one of our biggest problems in Iran.
thank you everyone.

#6 Fish

Fish

Viking 1

• Loc: Norridgewock, ME

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

Kiarash,

You need some sort of program to tell the AutoStar controller (and the telescope) what you wish it to do. For example:

--> The command to start motion to the north is :Mn#
--> The command to get the current date is :GC#

Many available programs, including Meade's own AutoStar Suite and Envisage, allow for remote control of the scope. If you're savvy enough, you can create your own in Visual Basic or other program. But you do need something, as the computer does not know for example that the <UP> arrow key means to send the command :Mn# to the AutoStar controller.

Depending on which model you have and whatever applicable export laws require, you may have a disc included with your LXD75. If not, go to Meade's website or any of many other.

Regards, Marc

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics