CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn March 29, 2009

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:41 PM

Hi all,

I had some decent seeing on the evening of March 28 and got the following Saturn image. It was shot at about 350UT (March 29) with the 10" at F/32. I resized the image by 1.2x during Registax processing. The moon, Rhea, is seen at about 2 o'clock. A bright spot can be seen in the middle of the disk just under the shadow of the rings.

Paul

Attached Files

#2 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:47 PM

Nice big one Paul !
Colorfull banding.
Freddy

#3 Mert

Mert

Skylab

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

Now that's a really nice image Paul, lot's of detail
and very sharp.
I'd like to have half of the seeing you had, for me
that would be great seeing :crazy:
Yesterday night I tried with the 6" Mak @F36, but the
seeing was aprox. 0.1 / 7, very blurry result and the
blue channel straight into the waist bin :bawling:
Oh well, the next time ......

#4 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:02 PM

Well done! Did you change your processing routine at all?? Chris Go's recent challenge has me thinking differently. Or maybe just my eyes...

Great work,

Mike

#5 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:24 AM

Mike,

Thanks!! I don't think I adjusted my processing procedure on this image from normal, but I have made a major adjustment on my capture process. With the Skynyx and LuCam Recorder, I would typically set contrast at 1.2-1.4. While it gave better disk detail, it took away from the overall picture. Now I set contrast no higher than 1.05, normally leave it at 1.0. Now I get the crepe ring and better images of moons. Also, I went from 17fps to 10 fps so I can increase exposure time. This allows me to get about 50-60% on the brightness rather than the 30-40% before. Always something to try, huh? **grin**

Paul

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics