• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fleetey

fleetey

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:13 AM

Hi,

I have a WO 70mm refractor and looking for a decent mount mainly for viewing but with the occasional (mainly) lunar image..

Budget is tight......looked at the Skywatcher AZ3 alt/az mount but seems to have mixed opinions...

Does anyone here use one in a grab & go capacity?, or do many get on well with a decent photographic tripod?

Thanks,

Chris

:question:

#2 gordianknot

gordianknot

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:13 AM

I have and use the AZ-3 and I actually think it's a darned good mount for the price, though it has a variety of issues (balance isn't great, can't reach zenith, etc). I personally dislike using photographic tripods for observing as they lack slow motion controls and tend not be designed to move very precisely. I'd also suggest taking a look at the Vixen Mini Porta Mount or it's bigger brother, the full sized Porta. I'd also advise staying away from the Versa Go/AZ-4 which are basically, bad expensive rip-offs the of the Porta.

#3 fleetey

fleetey

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for the information - I've looked at the Vixen Mini but that's quite expensive in the UK - about $360 currently. Perhaps I'll re-visit the AZ3.......

#4 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

Astro-Tech Voyager. Check out the reviews in the CN Reviews section. $299 USD.

#5 mischief

mischief

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

Second the Astro-Tech Voyager. Read the thread on a review of the VersaGo. The reviewer liked it, but I posted a response about some of the difficulties I had with it. You'll like the Voyager; it has very good reviews. It also has slow motion controls which the VersaGo does not; I don't know about the PortaMount or the SkyWatcher. And in addition to reviews about the Voyager, there is a long thread about it. Good Luck.

Dorothy :idea:

#6 fleetey

fleetey

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:50 AM

Hi - thanks for the suggestions - like the look of the Astro-TEch, but again this is $430 in the UK.

Hmmmmm!

Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics