Similar Tripods to Bogen 3001

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DSalters

DSalters

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:43 PM

For a Short Tube 80, what are similar tripods to the Bogen 3001?

This one was reccommended as a lightweight and easily collapsible option. I will be making my own alt-az mount similar to a Dwarfstar or Stellarvue M1 mount.

Thanks!
Daniel

#2 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

I am not going to be able to give you a list of tripods because it has been to long since I shopped around, but I do remember that in that price, size, and weight range the 3001 was the best I could find. I looked around a lot before getting my 3001 and everything else in that size just wasn't even close to being as sturdy. Even the ones that were much more expensive did not compare well to the 3001. I use it mainly for hiking with my DSLR since it is so light. It handles a my Nikon D300 and a medium size lens very well and including the 3 way head that is probably about the same weight you will be putting on it. It can get shakey when you load on more weight that that. For my tv pronto spotting scope, which is pretty heavy, I am use a bogen geared head on a bogen 3036 tripod. So if don't mind going a little pricier and bigger, that 3036 is as solid as a rock.

#3 DSalters

DSalters

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

That is quite helpful nonetheless. Thank you! I will pursue the 3001 then. From what I've seen, it's not a bad price anyway...especially if it's the best in its class of that size for sturdiness.

Thanks for the input :)

#4 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

Most real camera stores are going to have the 3001 on display, it is very popular. So I would suggest building your mount first and then take it and the scope down to the store and try it out to see if it works for you.

#5 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

For a Short Tube 80, what are similar tripods to the Bogen 3001?

This one was reccommended as a lightweight and easily collapsible option. I will be making my own alt-az mount similar to a Dwarfstar or Stellarvue M1 mount.

The Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 was discontinued several years back. Probably the closest replacement is the Bogen/Manfrotto 190XDB: similar aluminum legs with improved leg locks and a few other improvements. I used a Bogen 3001 with a Bogen 410 geared head to support a Meade ETX-90 OTA and it worked well for a light grab and go scope.

A better (but more expensive) option is a carbon fiber tripod. You can get the same stability and strength with a lighter tripod. The CF absorbs vibration better than aluminum. I use a Gitzo "Balsalt" tripod for photography and it outperforms aluminum while saving about 40% of the weight. This is definitely the way to go for any hiking application or any other situation where weight is at a premium.

#6 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:15 PM

The 190 and the 3001 are the same tripod. The one in the local store has 190 etched into the actual tripod but says 3001 on the tag. The only difference is the quick release replaced the screws, otherwise I cannot see any difference between it and my 3001. For the price it is hard to beat. I guess carbon fiber tripods have changed in the last few years. The few they had back then were not that much lighter and definitely not sturdier. I wouldn't mind finding a lighter tripod for hiking if it is still as small and sturdy as the 3001.

#7 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

The 190 is a bit different than the 3001, and replaced the 3001 in the Manfrotto catalog. The 190 leg tubes appear to be identical to the 3001. In addition to the updated leg locks, the 190 has a different top plate that allows a bit greater range of adjustment of the legs as compared to the 3001. The differences are very minor.

I used a 3001 with my cameras for about 16 years. I carried it (with a Manfrotto ball head) everywhere. But it did get to be a bit of a burden as the combo weighed between 7 and 8 lbs. About 2 years ago I switched to a Gitzo Balsalt tripod and a lighter ball head (Kirk BH-3) and cut the weight nearly in half. Much more convenient to carry and just as sturdy.

The high end Gitzo CF models are even lighter than the Balsalt for the same strength and stability. Manfrotto's CF models ("Maglight" or something like that) don't have the same weight savings as some of the other models. Of course, Manfrotto now owns Gitzo and moved the Gitzo production from France to Italy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics