• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 digitaldave

digitaldave

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Stevenage, UK

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

I will soon be taking delivery of a TV85 refractor, and I'll need a mount, but I'm not sure which way to go. I have several options I've looked at:

1) William Optics EZ Touch. This will give the option to mount a second scope alongside the TV85 (although I'm unlikely to need this feature). Also, I ahve a mad idea that I might just be within limits for mounting my Celestron 9.25" SCT on there (although I'm not sure about it to be honest...). No slow motion controls.

2) Vixen Porta. Small and neat, just the thing to go with the TV85. The slow motion controls would undoubtledly be very useful for high power viewing I guess.

3) Astro-Tech Voyager. Pretty much the same features as the Vixen Porta, unless there's something I haven't thought about?

So, I'd be really grateful if anyone with any of these mounts and a TV85 could give some feedback on hwo they perform together.

I know there are other options for a simple alt-az, but these are relatively easily available here in the UK. The Tele Vue range of mounts look OK, but they are much more expensive. But are there others I should look at?

Thanks,

Dave.

#2 digitaldave

digitaldave

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:51 AM

Just a quick update - I ordered a Vixen Porta mount today, it should be with me in a couple of days. I decided against the EZ Touch as I didn't want to risk it not being able to take the C9.25, plus I doubt I'll need the dual mount capability. The Vixen has the slow motion controls which will make life a bit easier for me - I also ordered some extension flexible cables. Hopefully the skies will clear up by the time it arrives!

Dave.

#3 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny California

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

You will like the Porta. Perfect match for the TV-85. Only dump the aluminum legs and go with the wooden ones sold by Hands On Optics. They make a huge difference when it comes to stability. The extension flex cables have lock screws so they won't tend to slide off which is a problem with the stock knobs.

Attached Files

#4 digitaldave

digitaldave

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

I'm not sure if anyone in the UK has wooden legs available for the Porta - if anyone knows where I can get some, please let me know!

Dave.

#5 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

Are you any good at woodworking?

#6 digitaldave

digitaldave

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:09 PM

Are you any good at woodworking?

Sadly, I'm not very good at things like that :(.

#7 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:35 PM

The reason I ask is I've seen plans posted here by people who made their own.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics