• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron

Aaron

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Eugene OR

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

Its been a while with winter and school, but I took my little ETX70 out for a quick sketch of last nights moon:

Posted Image

Frustrating to draw such a highly-detailed view at such a small scale (same circle-size as all of my sketches since my black-paper notebook isn't large. I could see all sorts of craters/shadows/etc but keeping any kind of point on those charcoal pencils is impossible.

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

Aaron,

I like the shadows, the mares and the capturing of the texture of your craters. Very nicely done.

#3 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

I think you did great and I enjoyed your sketch. If you are in a pinch for black paper with some size, I have had very good success using pastels on simple heavy black construction paper. You can get it in regular sized sheets or larger...the rougher and heavier the better...nearly all stores with school supplies will have it.

For this kind of approach, you only need the construction paper, white and black pastels (just one each), one blending stick, and a board or table to suit. Then you can go as large as you want to and it's relatively cheap.

Roland

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

Aaron,

Very nice waxing crescent moon sketch. :cool: :rainbow: I would strongly suggest you keep at least 6 sharpened charcoal pencils at your side in addition to a sharpening tool or sanding block. It will keep your frustration level very low.
Your drawing is very well constructed and it would be easier to make if larger. Intended or not the earth shine is excellent. :bow:

Frank :)

#5 Aaron

Aaron

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Eugene OR

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:48 AM

Thank you everyone for the comments. More pre-sharpened pencils is a must for the future, good idea. I try to limit my drawing size to prevent these from turning into artwork more than they already are. I might grab some construction paper so I can justify more quick/sloppy sketching without 'committing it' to my notebook.

I did spend quite a bit of time on the earth-shine since it is quite distinct through the telescope. I tried white->erasing which was ok, then I added more white and medium-black, then erased it again inside when I didn't like it, and finally replaced it and mixed more white in, which worked well, and even scanned pretty well. It depends on how you catch the light on the paper, when its reflective it looks kind of weird.

Aaron

#6 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

Aaron,

A very delicate sketch(, with such a small notebook). :bow:

#7 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:48 AM

Aaron,

An excellent observation of the Crescent Moon. You have captured the maria and texture of the Moon very nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#8 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

Thank you everyone for the comments. More pre-sharpened pencils is a must for the future, good idea. I try to limit my drawing size to prevent these from turning into artwork more than they already are. I might grab some construction paper so I can justify more quick/sloppy sketching without 'committing it' to my notebook.
Aaron

Aaron

Excellent sketch work and even more impressive that you are working with such a limited format size. Others here have offered some good advice. I would concur with Roland, that you might [try] a larger format paper eventually. I would say to not fear that it could turn to art work [as long as you keep within the guidlines of accurate sketching from your observations.] You might just surprise yourself that it becomes a masterpiece that could easily win the monthly contest in CN. You definitely show the great artistic talent. I am sure that Eugene [being the big college town] has many art suppliers with the paper that I use; Canson and Strathmore in black 20" X 25".

I encourage you to eventually work larger and look forward to seeing more of your excellent sketch work here.

Mark

My CN Sketch Gallery and Some Awarded Astrophotos
www.markseibold.com

#9 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

Aaron,

This is a wonderful sketch, you managed to put a tremendous amount of detail into the small image scale you chose. With your keen eye for detail and artistic skills you'll have no problem working larger as others have suggested. Great sketch! :waytogo:

#10 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:47 AM

That is lovely :-) It is difficult to stuff fine detail into a small space, however the observing challenge working small presents is worth the journey before moving on to larger moons.

I started with an EXT 70 and the moon, then moved on to larger 7 inch diameter lunar sketches. These days I am back to fine detail in the small.
http://picasaweb.goo...188066468426674

Enjoy yourself

Dee

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics