• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigdob24

bigdob24

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:03 AM

I'm looking for some opinions. I have an Atlas Mount with the stock vixen head. In the past I had a Tele Vue 101 mounted and it was a very sturdy attachment. I have just bought a customized Meade SN 10" , the whole setup with camera ,scope and dew shield is around 27lbs. Will the vixen style plate and receiver hold these components safely . I know the losmandy is the best should I upgrade and not take a chance?

#2 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:05 AM

I would upgrade. I think the Los. style plates/saddles are easier to deal with, as well as being mire solid and rigid.
ADM has a nice saddle that has your name on it !

Rob

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

I'm looking for some opinions. I have an Atlas Mount with the stock vixen head. In the past I had a Tele Vue 101 mounted and it was a very sturdy attachment. I have just bought a customized Meade SN 10" , the whole setup with camera ,scope and dew shield is around 27lbs. Will the vixen style plate and receiver hold these components safely . I know the losmandy is the best should I upgrade and not take a chance?

This is a big, heavy, long scope. It needs a Losmandy D.

#4 bigdob24

bigdob24

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

Well I will take the advise offered, I ordered a Losmandy style reciever along with a 20" counter weight shaft from Criterion.Now I need the plate that will fit the Parallax Rings that are on the scope. I'm thinking a D Plate, have to check that one out next.
Thanks
all for the advice
Dan

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

Measure the threaded holes on your rings and send the info to Anthony at ADM, he'll be able to tell you right away a) if the off the shelf D plates he has are already drilled correctly or B) what it will cost to drill a plate to match your rings. Either way you'll get exactly what you need.

#6 bigdob24

bigdob24

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

I should get the scope today and will get that done,should have time I think they have rain forcast for a week or more :-(
Thanks
Dan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics