CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Will the vixen style work

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigdob24

bigdob24

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:03 AM

I'm looking for some opinions. I have an Atlas Mount with the stock vixen head. In the past I had a Tele Vue 101 mounted and it was a very sturdy attachment. I have just bought a customized Meade SN 10" , the whole setup with camera ,scope and dew shield is around 27lbs. Will the vixen style plate and receiver hold these components safely . I know the losmandy is the best should I upgrade and not take a chance?

#2 NHRob

NHRob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:05 AM

I would upgrade. I think the Los. style plates/saddles are easier to deal with, as well as being mire solid and rigid.
ADM has a nice saddle that has your name on it !

Rob

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

I'm looking for some opinions. I have an Atlas Mount with the stock vixen head. In the past I had a Tele Vue 101 mounted and it was a very sturdy attachment. I have just bought a customized Meade SN 10" , the whole setup with camera ,scope and dew shield is around 27lbs. Will the vixen style plate and receiver hold these components safely . I know the losmandy is the best should I upgrade and not take a chance?

This is a big, heavy, long scope. It needs a Losmandy D.

#4 bigdob24

bigdob24

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

Well I will take the advise offered, I ordered a Losmandy style reciever along with a 20" counter weight shaft from Criterion.Now I need the plate that will fit the Parallax Rings that are on the scope. I'm thinking a D Plate, have to check that one out next.
Thanks
all for the advice
Dan

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

Measure the threaded holes on your rings and send the info to Anthony at ADM, he'll be able to tell you right away a) if the off the shelf D plates he has are already drilled correctly or b) what it will cost to drill a plate to match your rings. Either way you'll get exactly what you need.

#6 bigdob24

bigdob24

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

I should get the scope today and will get that done,should have time I think they have rain forcast for a week or more :-(
Thanks
Dan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics