Stellarvue MG mount

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny California

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

Anyone know when Vic will start shipping them to those of us who ordered them? I called a couple of weeks ago and was told by Shelly that they were hoping by the end of the month. I ordered mine back in February. It's now April.

#2 DennisF

DennisF

Apollo

• Loc: Northern IL

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:10 AM

Wish I had an answer for you. On the SV forum, Vic's comments indicate he's been focusing on getting ready for NEAF so this may have something to do with the delay, at least for the last week or two. OTHO, since these are outsourced, the reasons for the delay may be beyond his control. My suggestion-call and ask for Vic and find out straight from the horse's mouth so-to-speak.

#3 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

I emailed both Shelly and Vic about it and so far no reply. Maybe I will give him a call.

#4 DennisF

DennisF

Apollo

• Loc: Northern IL

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

That's probably a good idea. A few have commmented in the past that emails sometimes don't get a quick response although that has not been my personal experience. Calls seem to always get answered and queries handled immediately.

#5 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

I called, spoke to Shelly and the none-encoder MG mounts arrived from the manufacturer and are ready to ship. Mine should go out today.

Hurray! :jump:

After I receive it and test it, I will post my impressions along with photos.

#6 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

Well, here's an update. After speaking with Shelly at SV and being assured my mount would ship on Thursday of last week, I never received a confirmation email so I called up Shelly this morning and discovered that nothing was done. She apologized promising that my mount would ship today and I'd receive an email with confirmation as well as a tracking number for shipment. So far, no email and SV is now closed.

Now I plan to just sit back and see how long before I receive a confirmation email. I've now called twice and both times was told it would ship that day.

Anyone have problems ordering directly from SV?

#7 o1d_dude

o1d_dude

o1der than dirt

• Loc: The Wolfpack

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:05 PM

(cough...NEAF...cough)

We must be the only ones who didn't go.

#8 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

Well, NEAF starts on the 18th and this is only the 6th. Plus I'd think it's more important to actually sell merchandise than to tout it at a trade show. But then what do I know.

#9 CarterB

CarterB

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:36 AM

I'm having problems with my SV105 order as well. Vic called me two weeks ago saying he was assembling it and I've called back twice to find out when it was going to ship and get the same run around "Vic is busy. It's here. We'll ship soon."--I heard that 10 days ago and again yesterday. I love Stellavrvue but this experience has been very frustrating.

#10 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

Today is Tuesday and still no email confirmation and that's after I was promised it would ship yesterday and by the end of that day I'd receive an email confirming it.

Inexcusable really. My patience is running thin.

#11 Bradley B

Bradley B

Messenger

• Loc: Sacramento, California

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

I had an M3 mount on order since August, 2007.

In my own businesses, I learned the key to customer satisfaction was to UNDER promise and OVER deliver.

#12 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

In my own businesses, I learned the key to customer satisfaction was to UNDER promise and OVER deliver.

In my experience, this is usually Stellarvue's business model as well. I wonder if getting ready for NEAF has something to do with this. Have you tried calling SV and asking to speak to Vic, directly? This usually works for me.

#13 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

Vic hasn't been in for a while. I'm dealing with Shelly. I just learned that once again my mount will be shipped and today. When I get it and have it in my grubby little hands, I'll believe it.

#14 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

I hope everything works out well for you. Definitely let us know when you get your new mount.

#15 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:33 PM

I will test it out and provide photos.

#16 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:10 AM

I've learned you need some patience with Stellarvue. The best thing you can do is call them back and prompt them. They WILL ship it, but they seem to over-promise sometimes on the phone, and it does get frustrating. My impression is they're so busy right now they just can't keep up, and I know they're short the one person who handled most of the order questions on the phone.

John

#17 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

I finally received a tracking number so I should have the mount by Friday.

#18 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

I finally received a tracking number so I should have the mount by Friday.

:jump: :whee:

#19 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

Or perhaps the little elves in the far east actually making much of this gear are missing their deadlines, causing the middle-men selling it in the US to likewise miss their deadlines.

With the global recession in full sway, many manufacturing companies, such as those making astro-gear in China, have cut back production. Flagging demand makes sustaining supply a silly proposition. Cut a shift here and a shift there, prioritize projects that are yielding higher volumes and margins, etc.

It's even worse when you're just a pass-through; you have neither control nor up-to-date information. Patience and a grain of salt are useful in these cases.

Regards,

Jim

#20 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:56 PM

Interesting design, it looks like it has potential to be motorised.

United Optics dual helical mount

Hope it works well out the box, will be awaiting your first slew report. ;)

#21 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

Or perhaps the little elves in the far east actually making much of this gear are missing their deadlines, causing the middle-men selling it in the US to likewise miss their deadlines.

With the global recession in full sway, many manufacturing companies, such as those making astro-gear in China, have cut back production. Flagging demand makes sustaining supply a silly proposition. Cut a shift here and a shift there, prioritize projects that are yielding higher volumes and margins, etc.

It's even worse when you're just a pass-through; you have neither control nor up-to-date information. Patience and a grain of salt are useful in these cases.

Regards,

Jim

You might have hit the nail on the old head. Explore Scientific has a new dual-head mount that's not yet available. I've been told it's a manufacturing issue. That mount looks intriguing, especially at the low price advertised.

#22 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

I finally received the mount today and it was a disaster. First of all, the pillar on the head was loose and since there was no instructions included, I had to figure it's held in place by six tiny allen screws that bite into the mount shaft. The bottom of the pillar has a hole where the screw on the tripod supposedly attaches, but the hole is too small. Then, the head is painted in flat gray which shows up the slightest fingerprint. Plus the head has a nice scratch in the paint. The cap was missing on one end and from what I could tell, this is the opposite of the Orion as far as tension goes. This one has way too much tension. Releasing the levers, I could barely turn the pivot where the dovetail attaches. The apple tray that supposedly snaps in with ease is a bear to fit and once in place is darned near impossible to remove. I get the feeling this is a work in progress. So I'm shipping it back.

#23 hwman

hwman

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

Bummer . . . talk about disappointing. Thanks for cluing us all in though. Unfortunately I seem to be hearing other similar stores about SV at the moment. What a headache to go through to get something that shouldn't even be for sale.

#24 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:52 PM

The whole thing looked cheap and hastily shoved together. Certainly not worth what's being charged for it. It's not like Vic to offer something less than satisfactory. I've been extremely happy with my SV102ED. Hopefully, this will quickly be resolved to my liking.

What's interesting is on the other end where there's no dovetail mounted, I could tell this could be a dual-head mount. I guess this is what United Optics manufactures as a dual-head minus one side. I could look into the hole since the cap was missing to see where a dovetial could mount. It appeared that when I turned the alt slow motion knob, inside I could see the mount moves.

The biggest problem with the head is it needs to be totally free when the lock levers are disengaged just like it is with my CG4 mount. Instead, this mount is as stiff as imaginable.

Oh, and I didn't mention that the aluminum tripod was marked up with several scratches. Inexcusable. And it wasn't due to shipping either. Everything was protected in bubble wrap. The outside box arrived in perfect condition. I ordered it with the aluminum surveyor's tripod which I was told was quite stable. Well, it has the same cheap aluminum legs that I replaced on my Portamount plus at the top where they attach is made of black plastic which I'm sure will flex. I see where Vic sells a wooden version made in the USA, but it costs $100 more. That's probably the tripod to get. But until the mount problems are rectified, I'd stay away from it.

So now I've ordered two different AZ mounts that turned out to be not as represented. The other was the Orion deluxe dual-head AZ mount which I sent back for a refund.

I'm now very reluctant to be thrice burned. So I guess I'll stick with the Portamount. It's soundly made and with the addition of wooden legs and flexible slow motion knobs, hard to beat.

I see where Explore Scientific's Twilight dual-head mount is not yet available and no one seems to know when it will arrive. I've had my eye on that one. But I'll have to see it first, play with it to know if it's for me. No more buying new stuff sight unseen. Those days are over.

#25 Teal'c

Teal'c

Indeed

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:04 AM

Do yourself a favor and check into the Giro 3. I doubt that you'll find anything (if properly used) to complain about with these German made mounts.

The Giro 3 and my old DM-6 have been extremely solid mounts.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics