Photo

NexRemote program for vista, how do I get it?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 phanf4

phanf4

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Over there in Chattanooga

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

OK I've got a new CGE and the nexRemote program that came with the mount does not work with vista. I have googled and I see there is a vista version out. Do I go through my dealer that I bought the scope from or do I go through celestron to get a registered version. I can't beleive I would have to buy the program again to get the vista version. Has anybody else upgraded?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

OK I've got a new CGE and the nextstar program that came with the mount does not work with vista. I have googled and I see there is a vista version out. Do I go through my dealer that I bought the scope from or do I go through celestron to get a registered version. I can't beleive I would have to buy the program again to get the vista version. Has anybody else upgraded?

Do you mean NexREMOTE? If so, you go to Celestron's website and download it. You then use your license number on it.

#3 phanf4

phanf4

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

Sorry Yes NexRemote. I'm Looking at my disk and no lic # is on the disk or disk sleave. The disk was included in the mount head package. I'll Look again through all the paperwork. :question:

I feel like an idiot, I'll try not to act like one

#4 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

I had the same problem - no liscence key anywhere :( I had to call Celestron CS (no small feat) and then through email (mucho easier once recognized) fax them my receipts and etc. A few days later "bingo" I have a key number - and was assured I could download the 'Vista' version and it would work (why they are not shipping it is beyond me, as is much else). All went well, but I think they dont put keys on the covers all the time for some reason... It was 'a hassle' and through the process I learned my "registration" was pretty much meaningless.

#5 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

Isn't it easier to use one of the planetarium programs? NR didn't bring a lot to the party so I went back to Starry Nights. Cartes du Ciel is well liked and free! I like SN because I can look around and plan my imaging on the fly.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

Isn't it easier to use one of the planetarium programs? NR didn't bring a lot to the party so I went back to Starry Nights. Cartes du Ciel is well liked and free! I like SN because I can look around and plan my imaging on the fly.

Maybe you didn't use NexRemote enough to find out. It allows you to:

--Use the laptop as the HC and leave the HC at home.

--Use a GPS receiver of your choice to input site lat/lon.

--Use laptop time/date to set time/date automatically.

--Compose tours easily.

--Use a wireless gamepad as your "HC."

--Operate any planetarium program, including Starry Night, alongside NR via its "virtual serial port" option.

--Have your "scope" talk to you.

More.

One of the best, if not _the_ best programs for the Celestron NexStar user to ever come along.

;)

#7 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

Rod, I did see some of that stuff, and some of it I don't really need. I had been wanting to try NexRemote out for some time, and I'm glad I did. Keep in mind I am strictly astrophotography. My problem was with doing my alignments, and I don't really want to add a gamepad (to many cooks...). Doing the alignments through the laptop was well, inconvenient. I tried doing the alignments with the H/C, then starting NexRemote. But when I would start Starry Nights it would get a little fuzzy. After all, I prefer the GUI of a planetarium program so it became apparent that I was merely using the virtual serial port on NexRemote for SN. With SN I can plan my next target, and with one mouse click slew to it. NexRemote has a few clicks to change targets.

I can see where NexRemote would benefit a lot of folks, especially doing outreach programs with the tours and speech mode. Even help your kids or spousal unit get a taste of the wonders of the universe, but my situation... The kids have seen Saturn so the interst for them is marginal, the wife works nights and travels a lot, so it's usually just me and my dog Wilson out under the canopy of diamonds. And it's well known that APer's with a solid setup will start a series, and go to bed... Even if I have a couple of friends out, it's usually all about the AP.

So yes you are definitely right that this is a great application! It just doesn't blend in with my particular scenario.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

Rod, I did see some of that stuff, and some of it I don't really need. I had been wanting to try NexRemote out for some time, and I'm glad I did. Keep in mind I am strictly astrophotography. My problem was with doing my alignments, and I don't really want to add a gamepad

To each her/his own, of course...but... IMHO, adding a gamepad is not "too many cooks" it's "difference between day and night." Especially when doing imaging, I really appreciate a wireless hc with a joystick for centering objects and alignment stars. Easier to use and more efficient than those danged buttons. Want to move Southwest? I don't have to mash a south button and a west button, I just push the joystick southwest and the scope moves thata way. Want to go to a new target? I'll have taken a minute or two to compose of tour of my imaging targets for the evening. A push or two of a gamepad button sends me to the next one without havin' to squint at an HC's or laptop's display and push multiple buttons or thumb through menu pages. IOW, for imaging NexRemote makes me more efficient.

In fact, it's usually when I'm doing imaging that I use NexRemote. Since I have the laptop out, it's a NATURAL. For public outreach? Not so much. It's easier to leave the PC at home and just carry the consarned HC. One other benefit? When I use NexRemote with my NexStar 11 GPS, I can dial up whichever firmware load I want to use...whether that be SkyAlign or the good, old GPS alignment. ;)

#9 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

Now you have me shopping for a gamepad.... :hmmmm:

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

Now you have me shopping for a gamepad.... :hmmmm:

Two words: eBay, Wireless Wingman...well, that's three, but you get the pitcher. :lol:

#11 phanf4

phanf4

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

I had the same problem - no liscence key anywhere :( I had to call Celestron CS (no small feat) and then through email (mucho easier once recognized) fax them my receipts and etc. A few days later "bingo" I have a key number - and was assured I could download the 'Vista' version and it would work (why they are not shipping it is beyond me, as is much else). All went well, but I think they dont put keys on the covers all the time for some reason... It was 'a hassle' and through the process I learned my "registration" was pretty much meaningless.

Yes this was my problem. Celestron did not include the Lic Key with the mount. I called Celestron and they gave me a Lic key over the phone. In my original post I was under the impression no Lic Key was required in previous versions since I had NO key. Looking back on it that was kind of silly of me to think that.

Thanks for the help

#12 king1522

king1522

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

I've looked on the Celestron website and all I found was a download NexRemote v. 1.6.25. Is this the right one? I downloaded it and installed. I don't think it liked my Vista 64. Does anyone know of another download?

#13 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

I've looked on the Celestron website and all I found was a download NexRemote v. 1.6.25. Is this the right one? I downloaded it and installed. I don't think it liked my Vista 64. Does anyone know of another download?

There used to be a "for Vista" NR on their webpages. Ain't there no longer that I can tell. Best bet at this point? Get on the NexRemote Yahoogroup and ask the good folks there (who included the NR developers) what's up.

Well, either that or do what I do: acquire an "astronomy computer" loaded up with good, ol' XP. :lol:

Whether any version has ever worked with _64 bit_ Vista, I don't know.

#14 king1522

king1522

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Rod, I'll do that. Dang, I didn't even know there was a Yahoo group for that! Then again, I think there is a Yahoo group for just about everything!

#15 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:08 PM

I don't think any work on Vista 64, at least not as of a few months ago - the new release was for Vista 32 only...

#16 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:25 AM

I don't think any work on Vista 64, at least not as of a few months ago - the new release was for Vista 32 only...

Hokay...this is straight from the pony's mouth...

1. There is no longer a separate Vista version. Any required fixes have been rolled into the current release.

2. This version will work on Vista 64 EXCEPT for the virtual port, which will be non-functional.
;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics