• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

I've been considering picking up an Orion Atlas at some point, and recently came across an ad for one which was originally the base version, and upgraded to the go-to version at a later date. Are there any issues that I should be aware of that would make this a less desirable mount
that an Atlas that was a go-to model from the start, or are the two versions pretty much equivalent?
Thanks in advance,

#2 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

If it is on of the newer ones, like in the last couple of years or so, they are the same mount, and getting the GOTO hand control is all the upgrade you do over the non-GOTO mount.
I asked this same question many months ago. That was the answer I got.

#3 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:46 PM

Thanks, Doug! I'm not sure of the age of this one yet.

#4 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

Atlas mount also known as eq6 has 3 different models. First there was pure eq6 and eq6 pro.They have many differences - motors, panel, hand controller, electronics.The pure eq6 has basic hand controller, does not have goto and cn not be connected to computer. The Pro model has everything. Now the pro model is called synscan (rarely skyscan). The pure eq6 can be upgraded to pro simply buying skywatcher goto upgrade kit for eq6 which includes new motors, electronics, hand control, panel and pc connection cable. Doing this pure eq6 becomes eq6 pro (synscan). One recent model of eq6 is the eq6 syntrek. This is in fact eq6 pro with crippled hand controller. Upgrade to eq6 pro here is easier because you only need to buy the hand controller. If pure eq6 or syntrek is upgraded to eq6 pro using the skywatcher upgrade kit or hand controller replacement this mount should not have any differences with the eq6 pro (synscan).

#5 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

Thanks, neptun2--that's exactly the info I was looking for.

#6 Jeffrey Sugden

Jeffrey Sugden

Viking 1

• Loc: Akron, OH

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

One thing I have never seen addressed is the quality of the components common to all models. In particular, worms and worm wheels. I suspect that the quality has improved over time. My EQ6 is pre-goto and I did the SynScan upgrade last fall. My dec axis stalls and grinds making me suspect rough spots on the worm.

If it were me, I would want to get one that is newer rather than older.

Other variations over time are the reticle and calibration scales for the polar finder. Also, the older models do not have a polar reticle illuminator and the upgrade kit does not include one.

Having said all that, I am still very happy with my mount.

#7 dpastern

dpastern

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

I'd agree with Jeffrey here - reviews that I've seen of earlier Atlas versions seem to suggest exactly what he has said.

Dave

#8 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

One thing I have never seen addressed is the quality of the components common to all models. In particular, worms and worm wheels. I suspect that the quality has improved over time.

Good point, Jeff. I'll bet you're right.

#9 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:47 AM

Scott,

Don't know what the "original GOTO" means.

See http://www.cloudynig...601#Post2635601

Also note at one time, I heard SynScan upgrade kit is no longer produced.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#10 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:25 AM

Scott,

Don't know what the "original GOTO" means.

By "original go-to" I meant a mount that comes packaged from the factory with go-to, as opposed to a go-to option that is added on at a later date as an upgrade. Sorry if my wording was confusing.

#11 Jeffrey Sugden

Jeffrey Sugden

Viking 1

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

I got my upgrade kit last November. I think there are still some units in supply, though.

ccs_hello: At one time, the difference between non-goto and goto was contgroller board on the mount, drive motors, and hand controller, which contains the computer. Presently, the only difference is the hand controller.

The motors and controller board made a HUGE difference for me. It transformed my mount from a visual to a photgraphic mount.

I did upgrade bearings, reset the RA worm mesh with new spacers, and relubed. Using the Orion autoguider, I did a guiding test the other night and got an average +/- 0.51 arc sec over 4 hours. One more teardown to set the Dec mesh and I expect to be set for a very long time.

#12 Mert

Mert

Skylab

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

Hi Jeff,

That's a pritty good result!
Did you run PEC also at the same time??
Maybe you'd want to try another guiding program
called Metaguide, also for free!
I've got average PE-error over 11 cycles of
+- 0.28".
Anyway, it's not a big difference, since seeing
and FWHM are much worse where I'm located :bawling:

BR,

#13 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

I did a guiding test the other night and got an average +/- 0.51 arc sec over 4 hours.

WOW!!! That's better than many of the "premium" mounts. Was the rebuild difficult to do?

#14 Jeffrey Sugden

Jeffrey Sugden

Viking 1

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

The rebuild was not difficult. I am not the sort to tear down and rebuild my car engine, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

My stock EQ6 had a peak PE of +/- 40 arc seconds. I have torn it down several times. Now I had a peak PE +2.37 and - 2.74 arc sec. The max correction was 2.92 arc sec. Seeing was poor and there was a bit of a breeze, too. I am pretty sure there are "wind events" in the data, as the numbers do change if I trim down the dataset.

Mert: I used PHD for guiding. I have EQMOD set up and want to try PEC and the variable speed thing. I do want to check out MetaGuide, too. Thanks for the tip! Please see my other thread regarding transfer gear tooth noise.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics