NEAF Challenged Viewers

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: TGPNW

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

This is from all the folks who are NEAF travel challenged and woefully look at all of the treasures that people bring back from their brave eastern odyssey.

How about vendors opening up their hearts and coffers and make some super deals available to us for the duration of the show?

I think it is time for us "little people" to stand up and ask assertively for our chance.

:o

#2 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

• Loc: Northeast, FL

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

What is the main reason for attending this show? The scenic grandeur of NY in late winter? The opportunity to interact with dozens of biased vendors? The chance to look at, but not use lots of astro gear? Mingle with hundreds of middle aged men? Buy stuff and pay NY state sales tax?

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

What is the main reason for attending this show? The scenic grandeur of NY in late winter? The opportunity to interact with dozens of biased vendors? The chance to look at, but not use lots of astro gear? Mingle with hundreds of middle aged men? Buy stuff and pay NY state sales tax?

For those of us isolated from major telescope stores, it's a chance to see all the new gear. As with most trade shows (and NEAF is primarily a trade show), most attendees don't seem to buy that much - it's more like performing due diligence in preparation for a purchase.

#4 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

Well, we are paying the tax so no worries there. We will also have the same NEAF deals online as we have at the show for those that can't make it.

#5 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

Yeah Mike ! Thanks for giving us a chance to buy the goodies that were once only available to those who could attend.

We know there are always a few vendors who will make some things available to us but it is really nice to know CN caters to all.

I will make it to the show in the future but with the economy, medical bills, and daily responsibilities, many of us cannot go do due diligence or have the pleasure and luxury to experience what others do.

Believe me, I am happy and a bit green for everyone who gets to go. I also truly appreciate Mike's huge efforts to bring those images back to us in near real time.

Hope all took my comments in good form as it was both in jest and envy.

NEAF AHOY !

S

#6 Ralph Marantino

Ralph Marantino

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Old Bridge, New Jersey

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

It sure beats palmetto bugs sand and the OLD men of the winter star party.Ah Florida the geezers graveyard

#7 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

I would love to have the opportunity to meet the Vendors in person, & see what is special for this year; whether I could afford anything or not, it sure would be fun to see. I'd also love to meet a lot of fellow CN'rs in person, that will be there. Alas, I cannot be there, but doesn't stop me from wanting to go!

#8 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

• Loc: Connecticut - U.S.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

Honestly, I don't remember that many "deals" at NEAF last year. The main deal for me was not having to pay shipping on the things I got. I got a new Hyperion from Opt for a good price ($90) and some vendors had a good deal on TMB Paragons, but, for the most part, most vendors charge what they normally do. But, I love Astronomics picking up the tax!!! I can't wait to get the TMB92SS.

Also last year I was just picking up some ADM stuff and a few eyepieces. This year I have a laundry list to get, so I'll be searching around for those deals a bit more.

#9 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:48 PM

Come on guys I was teasing. I thought that was the intent of the thread.

I'm all for due diligence, but I've yet to buy a product that didn't actually exist :) I do tend to stick with safe bets; Astro Physics, Tak, RC optical, Howie Glatter, Televue, SBIG, Astrodon. Most software has a free trial period. If I'm unhappy with a product, as I was with a Yankee Trifid, I return it.

For those of us isolated from major telescope stores, it's a chance to see all the new gear. As with most trade shows (and NEAF is primarily a trade show), most attendees don't seem to buy that much - it's more like performing due diligence in preparation for a purchase.

#10 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

The NY State sales tax is only 8.625%...lol. Though it's different in many counties. Link

I HATE the NY Sales tax. I live in CT. People come over here just to buy cars. Sales tax in CT is 6%

#11 Carl M

Carl M

Viking 1

• Loc: Vermont, USA

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:41 PM

In New Hampshire(about 1 mile away from our home in Vermont), there is NO sales tax and NO State Income tax. I still attend NEAF! There is such a wealth of information and not a place on earth where I can not only learn a lot and see first hand new items, but see many folks I am proud to call friend and family! Just can't put a price on that! :bow: :bow: :bow:

#12 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:49 AM

In New Hampshire(about 1 mile away from our home in Vermont), there is NO sales tax and NO State Income tax.

LIVE FREE OR DIE. I love New Hampshire!!! But I haven't been there in years. Do you still have those HUGE liquor stores right over the border?

#13 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

But in return all the New Yorkers get outstanding roads and schools and stuff.

Gotta love New Hampshire though, aside from perhaps Missouri it is the only state that cops an attitude on its license plates !

The NY State sales tax is only 8.625%...lol. Though it's different in many counties. Link

I HATE the NY Sales tax. I live in CT. People come over here just to buy cars. Sales tax in CT is 6%

#14 rodney

rodney

Vendor - Explora Dome

• Vendors
  • Loc: Asbury, NJ

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

Just an FYI on automobile taxation. After years in auto financing at the dealer level I will say this. Regardless of where you buy your car, the tax you pay on it is where you live. You buy a car in CT and live in NY you pay NY taxes. Unless of course you have a CT address to use. Here in NJ we get PA people everyday. The only taxation difference is NJ charges a tax on new car tires where PA does not. Just wanted to clarify what has long been a rumor in the auto business. Where you register the car you pay.

Clear skies,

#15 Carl M

Carl M

Viking 1

• Loc: Vermont, USA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

Sooooooo, to get us back on the subject... :)
Regardless of the tax or whether you have lot's of money, you should still try and attend NEAF and if that's not possible - look for the secret web cam!!!!! It's an experience to gain knowledge from and has SAVED money ( at least for me!)

#16 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:23 AM

I am also hoping to hear more from OTHER vendors to see if they are going to be offering any significant specials online during the NEAF event.

:question:

S

#17 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:29 PM

Well the reasons I’ve been going to NEAF for the past 10 years or more are:

I get a chance to actually see a ton of astronomy equipment, software, books, magazines, etc, and actually talk to all of the “famous” builders, programmers, authors, etc. At one NEAF I got one of the Bisques to make a special mod to CCDsoft just for me that has proven helpful. I also got some advise from the owners of SBIG that actually contradicts what they “officially” say about the interoperability of their equipment (yes, you can use an AO-7 on a STL camera, despite the official SBIG position that it won’t work). I got Wil Tirion to autograph my copies of Uranometria 2000 star charts.

I usually head home with free copies of all the latest magazines, and a bag full of color handouts from the vendors and makers.

I get to meet a lot of old friends from the astro world and discuss the coming star parties, etc., and I do it traveling in caravan with members of my hometown astronomy club. I ate lunch one time with Richard Berry and discussed his IP4WIN book and image processing. I spent some time discussing CCD imaging and processing with Rob Gendler.

I get to attend a goodly number of world-class presentations by some of the finest amateur and professional astronomers from around the world. These are top-notch deals, as good as you will find anywhere and they keep going for two days! Caroline Shoemaker on the discovery of SL-9, last minute findings from the Saturn probes, Barbara Wilson talking about pushing deep with visual observing……. Just a sample!

I get to look thru what has to be one the finest collections of solar scopes located in one place. There are 20 or more, white-light, h-alpha, CalK, both vendors and private owners. For a solar nut this would be worth the trip alone, not to mention the ability to compare different equipment for purchase decisions. The solar star party is free, and many local residents attend just this every year.

I’ve won my fair share of prizes over the years including a 35mm Pan and a free weekend pass to Stellafane.

Oh, yes…… I also picked up some great equipment for good deals. One post sez that there were none last year. Apparently this person was not interested in Denkmeier bino-viewers, where I saved nearly $300 over the normal prices for the equipment. None of the vendors I bought from charged sales tax….. they ate it! I was able to get unusual items like new rubber eyecups from Televue for my older Naglers.

BTW, there are plenty of family age men, women and kids at NEAF. They have specific programs for kids so that the parents can head out to the programs and selling floor.

All-in-all, NEAF is a must-do event for me!

#18 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

Would this be the case if it was 1,000 miles away as opposed to less than 200 ? Just curious. In other words an extra day on each end for travel.

#19 Maureen

Maureen

Geek Mom

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

Not sure why, but I've never had to pay tax on anything I bought at NEAF. Could it be that the dealer I usually purchase from does not do business in NY State?
Maureen

#20 Gone caving

Gone caving

Vendor (Lunt Solar Systems, Lunt Engineering)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Underground... really

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question:
Has someone forgot to tell me I'm now a

" Middleaged old man"
:bawling:

#21 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

Would this be the case if it was 1,000 miles away as opposed to less than 200 ? Just curious. In other words an extra day on each end for travel.

Thousand miles?

I think most people who travel long distances to these events try and add on other tourist sorts of things. While it’s too warm for skiing and too cold for swimming, a trip to NEAF can be combined with a side trip to New York City and the great planetarium and other science museums there.

I am certainly considering traveling 1000 miles or more to attend astro events in the future and I’d put NEAF right up there on an equal footing with the Winter Star Party and Texas Star Party as an event worth attending at least one time. It’s certainly different than a star party, but of equal interest to me.

#22 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

Not sure why, but I've never had to pay tax on anything I bought at NEAF. Could it be that the dealer I usually purchase from does not do business in NY State?
Maureen

I bet that the sales tax is being paid even if it’s not shown on the sales receipt. That’s a part of ‘the deal’. Otherwise, if you are a NY resident, you would be responsible for paying it on your income tax return.

#23 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

Every sale made at NEAF has tax attached one way or another.

#24 James Bielaga

James Bielaga

Vendor (Aurora Astro)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Washington, USA

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

I was vending at NEAF last two years. The vendors have to register with NY State to collect sales tax and get a resellers certificate. Now whether or not the vendor chooses to pass that along to the customer it is up to them. But being small I wasn't going to eat 8% on each sale. Profits aren't that much on astronomy equipment. But rule is if you are in a state with sales tax then the vendors selling in that state should be charging or paying sales tax on those sales. Whether they are from NY or another state like me from WA.

I decided to stay home this year. Had the air miles but couldn't justify the expense for the amount of sales and closing my store for a week. One person shop. I had fun last two years. I did send along my telrad charts autographed for door prizes. Have fun every one and I will be online watching the feeds.

Jim Bielaga
Aurora Astro Products
www.auroraastro.com
425-337-4384

#25 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

Just an FYI on automobile taxation. .....Where you register the car you pay.

If you pay say 6% sales tax on a car in one state, and then move to NY say 2 years later, you will have to pay the difference in tax rate to NY before you can register the car. This happened to me on a car I bought while living in Texas. I later moved from NY to NJ, and then a few years later back to NY a second time. NY tried to get me to pay the sales tax yet again and it took a few letters, copies of all of the prior documents, and a phone call to a supervisor in the state tax office to get them to straighten it out.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics