• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

I usually do a warm restart, however, when I slew to an object and if's off a little, I center it, but when I goto "Align Telescope" the only option is to Sync. Question: If I Sync it remembering that it's a warm restart, will it cancel my pointing model?

The reason I ask is that on a Cold Start, anytime you select sync, it's like starting over.

Thanks! David

#2 f29pc

f29pc

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

David, after a warm restart and pressing Sync should only sync the current model to where the scope is. When you do a cold start it wipes out any modeling and starts over.
Paul

#3 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

Thanks, Paul! I figured that was the case, but I didn't want to have to do the alignment over.

David

#4 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:50 AM

.... I figured that was the case, but I didn't want to have to do the alignment over.....David

Don't worry about losing a model. A flawed model is worse than no model. I would be concerned about losing a perfect model like Heidi Klum, but who wouldn't?
I used to image at long focal lengths with a Gemini. It only took me 5 minutes to make a new model that would center objects in the test image. The quality of your 'synchs' and 'additional aligns' is important, though. Use crosshairs to center your stars and a 5 star model will get you off and running. Doing a few aligns at the end of a night out will give you a widely-spaced model which, I believe, helps refine the model's accuracy.

dan

#5 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

.... I figured that was the case, but I didn't want to have to do the alignment over.....David

Don't worry about losing a model. A flawed model is worse than no model. I would be concerned about losing a perfect model like Heidi Klum, but who wouldn't?
I used to image at long focal lengths with a Gemini. It only took me 5 minutes to make a new model that would center objects in the test image. The quality of your 'synchs' and 'additional aligns' is important, though. Use crosshairs to center your stars and a 5 star model will get you off and running. Doing a few aligns at the end of a night out will give you a widely-spaced model which, I believe, helps refine the model's accuracy.

dan

That's exaclty what I do. That's why I like the Gemini. Last night, I did the Sync thing and it was fine. As it turns out, M64 was only off by the tiniest bit from center. I use a reticle ep for my star alignments. It's the only way. :grin:

David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics