Photo

Sphinx SXD - noisy drive or normal?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cosmosphil

Cosmosphil

Apollo

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

I have a general question for the Mount Maniacs.
How loud should the drive noise be on a Sphinx SXD?
The mount seems to work flawlessly. Go-to is great. Tracking dead on. When it slews it sounds like a normal slewing sound. Just a soft whiring sound.
But, when the mount just tracks along it sounds like a tiny coffee grinder chugging away or maybe a aquarium motor buzz. It's not really loud but you can definately hear it when sitting there with the scope.
All my previous Vixen mounts have been virtually silent except maybe some soft clicking from the old SP.
Our own Fred here on CN, the original owner, mentioned the mount will not be silent and clicks along but it just seems louder to me than I'm used to. I just hope I'm not destroying anything!! :help:

#2 Sergio Porres

Sergio Porres

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

I have the same problem, and the noise is similar with my old LDX55,

But in the webpage, Vixen said, if you upgrade to V.2.1 the sound is more normal.

#3 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

The ones I had did the same thing and had a coffee grinder sound while tracking. I think this is completely normal for this mount. I never had the chance to use version 2.1 only versions 35-40 and same sounds.

S

#4 Cosmosphil

Cosmosphil

Apollo

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

I believe the original owner did advise he already updated to 2.1 already. Is there a quick way I can check the firmware level?

#5 adamsp123

adamsp123

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

Hi
My Vixen Sphinx in tracking mode sort of ticks and creaks like door being opened in some horror movie, it is really quite a low level but outside in the quiet of the night it sounds worse than it really is.

Pete

#6 payner

payner

Viking 1

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

I just purchased a new SXD mount several weeks ago and noticed immediately the coffee-grinder sound when it is tracking. It would be nice if it was quieter, but I admire so much of the attributes of this GEM I'm willing to listen to its song.

Randy

#7 Cosmosphil

Cosmosphil

Apollo

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

Randy,

Is that a picture of your 6" on the SXD on your avitar?!!
I am impressed if it is. I was shocked at how easy it takes the bulk of the TEC in stride. Almost everyone I spoke to said no way would this work even visually. But, there were a few here on CN that stated as big or even bigger scopes riding on it with no problem.
Vixen has always built good stuff. Just wish this drive were a little quieter myself. Seems this is one of the trade offs.

#8 payner

payner

Viking 1

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

Hi Phil: Yes it is and I was told the same by everyone, including the store I bought it from. However, I couldn't find anyone who had experience providing them their conclusion. So, given my FS-152 weighs 31 lbs for everything sans an ocular I had little doubt the mount would handle it (it's rated at 50 lbs including CW) and I could balance it with 15 lbs of CW putting it just under the rated weight. One design feature that helps this mount do so well with large scopes is the placing of the drive motors low on the mount which aids in reducing the CW necessary for balance. Vixen is known to be conservative in rating their mount capacity, as well.

Randy

Attached Files

#9 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

I believe the original owner did advise he already updated to 2.1 already. Is there a quick way I can check the firmware level?

Yes -- on the Starbook screen when it comes on, you can scroll down and select "My Starbook" (I think) and it will tell you the version you're running.

#10 JAFE

JAFE

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

That´s a very nice set up you got Randy.

#11 Tim

Tim

Messenger

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

I was concerned about the noise when I purchased my sxd. I had already heard about the noise issue.I went to the store had them put it together and put a OTA on the mount and plug it in. I then had the owner call Vixen and asked for them to listen to the noise over the phone. After they listened to it for a bit they said it sounded normal. It took some getting used to in the begining.I had a nexstar mount and a Super Polaris mount in the past and both were very quiet. I am not completly sure but I think that now that I have used it for a while it may be a little quieter or perhaps I have just got used to it chirping.

My tracking is very good and the goto usually lands the object on my camera chip most times.

#12 payner

payner

Viking 1

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

Why, thank you, Jorge. :rainbow:

#13 Cosmosphil

Cosmosphil

Apollo

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:46 AM

Randy, wow, what can I say! The mount may be noisy as all get out but man does Vixen build some strong mounts. :ubetcha:
Thanks everybody for calming my fears. Seems the Sphinx coffee grinder will live on just fine. :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics