Rescued Bogen tripod - need parts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Andrews

Tom Andrews

Apollo

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

My neighbor rescued a Bogen 3051 tripod with a 3063 head from the dumpster yesterday and gave it to me. The head mounting plate is missing so I did some research on the Bogen site. I find that there is a replacement plate, if it's the right one. The head model number has been replaced twice (if I understand correctly) and goes from 3063 ---> 3159 ---> 030VHS-14. The Bogen site gives links to dealers and I recognized Gitzo from CN posts. I clicked that link and it gave me 153 dealers.

I have never shopped for tripods and know very little of the lingo and dealers so my questions are:

1.) Do I have the right replacement plate for this tripod? Bogen link

2.) Does anyone have a dealer they would recommend (it doesn't have to be Gitzo, I just need to replace this plate)?

3.) Or does anyone have a plate they would like to sell?

Thanks for the help!

Attached Files

#2 Tom Andrews

Tom Andrews

Apollo

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:55 PM

Attached Files

#3 Tom Andrews

Tom Andrews

Apollo

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

Attached Files

#4 Tom Andrews

Tom Andrews

Apollo

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

Attached Files

#5 Tom Andrews

Tom Andrews

Apollo

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

Attached Files

#6 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

I own the 3063 and that is the correct plate. You can get that plate from just about any online dealer, I prefer B&H Photo personally. Or you can probably get it from your local "real" camera store. Also the plates come in cork or rubber top and I think the cork holds my video camera much better. Here is a pic of mine with the plate attached:

Attached Files

#7 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

I assume you know that you can replace the entire head if you want to. There are three small recessed screws under the top of the tripod post that are securing that head in place. You just loosen them and then you unscrew the head from the tripod. It is attached with a 3/8" bolt, which is standard and will match any kind of head you want to buy.

Here is a pic of the bottom:

Attached Files

#8 Tom Andrews

Tom Andrews

Apollo

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:05 PM

Lane,

Thanks for the info and pictures. I called the local camera shop and they said they thought they had the one I need in stock but to bring the tripod in to be sure. I'll have to wait until Monday to do that and if for some reason they don't have it, I'll order from B&H. I knew that heads come off but didn't know how. I removed the only set screws I could find, 3 on the underneath side of the mount. I tried unscrewing the head but it seemed to just turn and didn't seem to be going anywhere. Could you possibly take a picture of the set screws you're referring to and posting it so I can be sure I'm dealing with the right ones? Thanks!

By the way, I noticed you moved your handle to the opposite side it comes on. I had planned on doing that also so that the head will go 90 degrees, which I assume is why you did it...

#9 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:12 AM

You pulled off the correct screws and actually you don't have to pull them all the way off just loosen them. Anyway I think I know what is wrong. Sounds like the previous owner tightened the head to the tripod with way to much force. It only needs to be slightly tight and then those 3 set screws hold it in place. So look at my last picture. You see that big silver bolt in the upper left of the picture. You need to tighten that bolt very tight to keep the mount from spinning. Then you can unscrew the mount from the tripod. The mount is designed to spin left and right and that bolt is the lock. If that does not work you may have to shoot some liquid wrench in between the mount and tripod to free it up.

I moved my handle because I was originaly using this for my Pronto on the moon and planets and it just worked better on that side. But I should probably move it back because I only use this for my video camera now.

#10 Tom Andrews

Tom Andrews

Apollo

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:10 AM

Lane,

Thanks again. It worked just as you said (and without liquid wrench).

I think I'm getting comfortable with the tripod nomenclature.

It will serve a dual purpose for my binocular parallelogram and an alt/az mount for my C8.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics