CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autoguiding in dec?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 UniversalMaster

UniversalMaster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

Hi!

I'm imaging with a LXD75 which is giving me some trouble. I did a few test tonight, and found that it was better to turn off dec. guiding in PhD. 4min frames looked then ok. But, if I don't guide in dec, should I then

1. Do the normal 2 star alignment (as usual) which will likely result in autostar doing some small ammount of dec-tracking due to imperfect polar alignment

or

2. Use only RA tracking (no alignment), and forget about dec all-thogether?

What do you think?

Do you use dec guiding at all?

Søren

#2 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

I don't think the lxd75 tracks in declination - only in RA. So, if you have dec guiding off you should only be moving the mount in RA. Just make sure you drift align to get a good polar alignment so you can turn dec guiding off (that's what I do).

#3 UniversalMaster

UniversalMaster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:50 AM

Ok, I thought it would track in dec. since the autostar system is used in both alt/az and Eq setup. It also does satellite tracking, so it IS capable to track in bot RA and Dec.

I don't really like drift alignment... How long do you spend on this? And do you use software like EQAlign to do it?

Søren

#4 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

Hi Soren - I just do it the old fashioned way with a crosshair eyepiece (no drift over 5 minutes at 300x). It takes 30-40 minutes total but usually it's still too light to shoot anyway during most of that time. It becomes second nature with a little practice and you get better at guessing the amount of adjustments with practice. Lot's of folks guide in dec but it can be problematic at times so I figured I'd eliminate one potential source of trouble and just turn it off after doing a very good drift alignment. I know a lot of folks don't like doing drift alignment but call me weird I guess but I sort of enjoy it. I used to have an lxd 75 and when I had the polar scope aligned really well inside the RA axis I frequently was so accurate with using the scope that drift alignment wasn't necessary. I always had trouble keeping that polar scope aligned though so was always afraid to trust it.

#5 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:51 AM

That's correct, the LXD75 only drives in dec, the dec alignment is only used for GoTo's. I don't drift align, I just use the polar scope, so I usually have a bit of residual drift. With PHD I have it correct the dec in north-only or south-only depending on which one works. How can you tell? Select one or the other, if the guide star drifts in dec then select the other mode. A slight off-balance in dec helps as well if your mount has a bit of backlash.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics