Photo

Help needed with tuberings...piggybacking ...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 luck

luck

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

I have posted this post on Refractor forum, still no response. So I thought to try here.

I'm trying to have a go on astrophotography. I have a Tak FS102 and a 66mm Apo (TS APO 66/400mm f/6) as a guidescope. The mount is a Skywatcher HEQ5pro. At the moment I have a Tak tubering. But with this tubering it's very difficult to piggyback.

My question is will the Astro-Tech 114mm Rings work with the William Optics 100mm Guiding Rings? Or do I need to buy the William Optics 115mm mounting rings for FS102?

Will I be needing dovetail plates or sliding bars? I have already AP 7" Sliding Bar and a 8" Dovetail Plate (DOVE08).

Sorry for all the questions. I would love to hear other solutions.

Thank you in advance for your help.

- Lukman

#2 Dan G

Dan G

Vanguard

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

Lukman -

It looks like either of the rings you mention will work just fine. Take a look at the SBD12 portion of the Astro-Physics site. It shows a picture of what your rig should look like.

Flexure is a killer for AP. I always try to have 2 bolts locking down each end of my plates for the imaging and guide scopes. The adjustable rings are easy to use but you will be surprised how much flexure can occur with them. They can work just fine but work to get them nice and snug.

I use an AP D Series plate under my main scope rings and then have another bolted on top. I bolt the guide scope rings to this.

Dan in NY

#3 luck

luck

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

Thank you Dan, I visited the AP website, wow that's a nice pickyback rig. I did also visit your site, very nice photos... I tried the equipment page and did not see any photos on your site. Maybe something is wrong with my browser.

Ok, the configuration will look like this:

EQ5 pro mount ---> William Optics Vixen Compatible Dovetail Plate ---> "Astro-Tech 114mm Tube Rings" OR "William-Optics 114mm mounting rings" ---> Dovetail OR Plate (AP 7" Sliding Bar) --> Guidescope

Does any one know if the spacing of the "Astro-Tech 114mm Tube Rings" and "William-Optics 114mm mounting rings" are the same?

Thanks...

- Lukman

#4 Dan G

Dan G

Vanguard

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:12 PM

Lukman -

The spacing should be the same as most space them to match the Losmandy plates. I have found it hard to guess how it will all fit until I have some of the parts in my possession. Sometimes I need different length bolts. Sometimes I need another adapter or plate. I might start with AdstroTech if only because it is a domestic call and you can ask the question before your purchase. You can also email WO.

As for the website - 5 kids, international travel, astronomy, spouse, etc have prevented me from touching it for too long. It's on my to do list though. :lol:

Dan in NY

#5 luck

luck

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

Hi Dan, 5 kids and you have still time to help out :-) I thought I had a tough time with 1 kid :-) I understand about the website, there are other important priorities in live. Thank you Dan, will try to figure out if possible to try out over here locally before buying.

- Lukman

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics