• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: StonyHill Observatory

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:39 PM

I know I know......You just got the dang G-11. I spoke with Mike B for awhile today and have been going back and forth since the Pro was announced. I have learned that one needs to look at several things and FINALLY settle. So in the interest of A: Future proofing myself and B: I have always been a supporter of Celestron and the CGE. Based on the specs I'm hoping it is impressive. I do have two concerns and that is the height of the mount. Any idea of the height from the bottom of the electronics pier to the top of the saddle? Is the counterweight shaft diameter the same size as the CGE? I have 2 CGE CW's that I'm hoping to be able to use.

The height may be a killer though. I built the obervatory walls sized to the CGE/NJP I had and they acted as a great windbreak. The Pro looks REALLY tall though. I'd hate to have to cut a 12" diameter concrete pier, drill and epoxy new pier bolts in place :foreheadslap:

CS's

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

Congrats! The Pro looks like it has lots of potential.

#3 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:56 PM

I'm hoping so :) You gonna be around to help me get it into my truck ;)

I don't know if it will throw up 900 numbers, even with PE enabled but the payload is right. If the +9/-9 is true I'm figuring PemPro should be able to get it down around +2/-2 or slightly better.

#4 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:35 AM

Not sure what time I'm leaving Sunday, but I'd be happy to help.

#5 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:18 AM

Your going to enjoy the mount. I'm very happy with mine.
Bottom of pier to top of saddle on mine is 31". Haven't tried a CGE counterweight but it looks the same I'll check for you later today.

Phil

#6 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:39 AM

Phil,

How do you like the 4 knob saddle setup? How does the sound when slewing compare to a CGE? How flexible are the motor cables? Sorry for all the questions!

CS's

#7 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:04 AM

Son.....you have it bad! :lol: I must say, though, I'm looking forward to your review and a couple of Pempro graphs.

Hey Luke...see if you can get this guy under control at NEAF. :roflmao:

Ya' gotta' love the Mount section. :ubetcha:

David

#8 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:20 AM

The saddle is three knobs. Four knobs for the clutch locks.
There is no comparison when it's slewing with the CGE. It's quiet the neighbours will enjoy the sleep. The cables are similar to aircraft cables with the J-type connectors. I don't anticipate any problems with them.

Phil

#9 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

Your going to enjoy the mount. I'm very happy with mine.
Bottom of pier to top of saddle on mine is 31". Haven't tried a CGE counterweight but it looks the same I'll check for you later today.

Phil

31" - WOW that is one TALL mount, huh? This is making me glad I made the call (last night!) to go with the MI250 - its more like 21"; which is close to my CGE, which works very well with my wall height...

Unlike Bobby, I have no concrete I can "cut"... I'd hafta buy a new pier - ka-ching...

But, I'll still be interested, because I did LOVE my CGE; I like the interface and overall stability and excellence... that capacity on the CGE-Pro is very attractive, and lets face it - from the pics - it is gorgeous! (to me)...

Congrats Bobby... maybe see/meet you at NEAF (after all much of your "ex gear" seems to be meeting me!) :roflmao:

clear enough skies

#10 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

I don't know if it will throw up 900 numbers, even with PE enabled but the payload is right. If the +9/-9 is true I'm figuring PemPro should be able to get it down around +2/-2 or slightly better.

It seems like that should be possible. I get +2/-2 with my CGE and PEC enabled. I would think that the CGE Pro can match this.

The thing about the 900, though, is that it is very, very smooth. My CGE has about .5 arc seconds of noise when it tracks.

I'll be interested in hearing how the CGE Pro does with this.

-Wade

#11 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

I just went out to WSO and measured things (mount height wise)...

My CGE is about 22" from piertop to mid-saddle... so the MI250 will be perfect...

If I had decided to go with the CGEM-Pro (at 31") that would have taking the mid-saddle point exactly 4" below my roof run-off clearance... meaning - new pier time

Maybe, get out that concrete saw, Bobby! ;)

clear enough skies

#12 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

Bottom of the electronics pier to mid point of the saddle is 28". To top of saddle is 31". for my lat.

Phil

#13 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

I looked at the MI250. Nice mount very well made but I've used the Gemini and I think it's primative. That's why I went with the CGE Pro. If the MI250 had a more modern goto system I probably have bought one.

Phil

#14 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

• Loc: Stuck in a Time Warp.

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

I'd hate to have to cut a 12" diameter concrete pier, drill and epoxy new pier bolts in place :foreheadslap:

CS's

It can be done, he said, having :foreheadslap: in the past over a similiar decision.

Attached Files

#15 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:49 PM

Steve,

:foreheadslap: Just looking at that picture gives me the willies bad! I just finished painting the inside of the roll off with a nice satin black paint and doing a spring cleaning. I can get my hands on a wet saw but man oh man it would still be a mess I think. I'm up at my property right now but come Monday I am going to need to do some serious measuring.

For me, this will be equivalent to buying a 900 class mount and with it's payload will be the foundation of my final rig. I was REALLY considering Jason's/My old MI but it was just outside the financial ballpark.

I'm hoping the CW shafts are the same size as I held onto 2 15lb Casady CW's from my last CGE's I had and would love to use them with the Pro.

I love the screw connect cables and although I think overkill, the 4 knob clutch system is cool. I think they added it for those who may try to test the 90lb Payload.

I agree the AP mounts are stupidly smooth when it comes to PE and I don't expect the Celestron to be as smooth but as long as it's tolerable it should be fine with the Fl's I'm working with.

I am a bit concerned as it seems at least 1 owner took delivery of a Pro and it was DOA out of the box :crazy: Hope fully Mike will let me plug the one in at NEAF and slew it around before I pack it up.

CS's

#16 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

Not sure what time I'm leaving Sunday, but I'd be happy to help.

That's cool....andy will be there to help me. The only thing I need to watch is to make sure he puts the boxes in MY truck and not his car Lol.

#17 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

Just tested one of my Losmandy counterweights from a CI-700 and it fits the CGE Pro.

Phil

#18 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

• Loc: Stuck in a Time Warp.

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:09 PM

HMmmmm...perhaps it's time for that second observatory you've always wanted?

#19 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

Just tested one of my Losmandy counterweights from a CI-700 and it fits the CGE Pro.

Phil

:yay: :waytogo:

Thanks Phil! Your a gentleman and a scholar!

Any issues that you can see so far? Have you done a fake alignement or dry run?

sorry for the questions but this is a BIG purchase and a lot hanging on it.

CS's

#20 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

:shocked: Not at my house BUT........I'm finishing up a 12" pier at my property up in Mass. which will eventually be surrounded by a 12X12 roll off. That pier I made shorter than this one to take advatnage of the horizons and Mage 6+ skies......

#21 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

I've lugged it out into the backyard and given it a run with my AT111EDT. It's sweet. Quiet, and if your used to a Celestrons HC's like an old friend.
Phil

#22 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:43 PM

Yeah... one point I'm NOT looking forward to is learning YET ANOTHER new handcontrol/protocol for goto, etc...

I had just gotten to where I could do everything with the CGE from memory and by rote...

Now I gotta learn Gemini... ah well, it'll make good bedtime reading over the next few weeks - LOL...

Congrats, Bobby... it's one sweet looking mount. Kinda uber-Germanic/Teutonic "cool" in a Bauhaus kinda way...

Seems to me it's pretty hard to go wrong in the $5K and up range... funny, that...

clear enough skies

#23 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:44 PM

BTW, Phil...

Just noticed you're "southern Tier"... whereabouts?

My wife's from Corning, and my Father in law still lives in Elmira... we get there several times a year... I'm thinking next family visit there, I'm gonna hafta "hop out" and visit Cherry Springs, about an hour away...

small world

clear enough skies

#24 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:08 PM

Yeah... one point I'm NOT looking forward to is learning YET ANOTHER new handcontrol/protocol for goto, etc...

I had just gotten to where I could do everything with the CGE from memory and by rote...

Now I gotta learn Gemini... ah well, it'll make good bedtime reading over the next few weeks - LOL...

Congrats, Bobby... it's one sweet looking mount. Kinda uber-Germanic/Teutonic "cool" in a Bauhaus kinda way...

Seems to me it's pretty hard to go wrong in the $5K and up range... funny, that...

clear enough skies

I think you'll get an "AMEN" from other Gemini users when I tell you to read the manual. If you follow the instructions, it is not a big learning curve, but if you try to do it like the typical male (instructions? we don't need no stinkin' instructions :grin:), you'll be cursing everyone one of we MI250 owners for giving you bad advice. :lol:

David

#25 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:25 PM

Not uber-worried, David... I'm an ex TECO programmer (amongst other arcanity)... I fear NO manual...

:lol:

but appreciate the warning, nonetheless...

We now return you to Bobby's original posting topic... ;)

clear enough skies

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics