Photo

Eqmod, atlas, gps, and a time warp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EricV

EricV

Vostok 1

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

So last night I hooked everything up to get eqmod to work with my Atlas EQ-G via a USB hub which has a serial to usb converter, camera, gps, guidescope all plugged in and ran to my laptop. Initial running was working perfectly (me using gamepad to move mount, take pics, etc). So then I told it where to go using Starry Night. It went but to where Orion had been 6 hours previously. What the heck I say to myself. So I load Stellarium. Same effect. Check GPS in Eqmod and notice a difference in time. Under PC Local ST it matched my laptop but under GPS Local ST it was 6+ hrs off. The time delta was also offset. So I thought about the option in LSView about setting local. Went in and noticed error in reported time so I set the correct -6 hrs plus 1 for DST and time adjusted correctly. But it did not fix it in Eqmod. Everything else is correct as far as detected gps coordinates and whatnot.

Ideas welcome.

#2 EricV

EricV

Vostok 1

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:15 PM

ok just a little update. Took it all outside and it's only -5 hrs off. If I unplug the gps and hit reset in the gps screen everything goes normal. I can then do 3 star alignment in eqmod and everything works. So still at a loss but hope that helps with any info anyone can provide.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

ok just a little update. Took it all outside and it's only -5 hrs off. If I unplug the gps and hit reset in the gps screen everything goes normal. I can then do 3 star alignment in eqmod and everything works. So still at a loss but hope that helps with any info anyone can provide.

My advice? Forget GPS for the moment. You don't need it anyway. Just type in your lat/lon into EQMOD INSURING IT'S THE SAME AS THAT IN YOUR PLANETARIUM PROGRAM and make sure the laptop's time is reasonably accurate (does NOT have to be to the second or even minute of GPS time). Make sure everything works, then puzzle out the dadgummed GPS.

;)

#4 EricV

EricV

Vostok 1

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:17 PM

Just wanted to post an update in case anyone makes my same mistake. DON'T use the set locale in LSView to adjust time to your timezone and / or DST as this throws everything off. Live and learn :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics