Photo

CGEM originality question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

Can anyone clarify for me, is the new Celestron CGEM mount a original design from Celestron or is it a clone of an existing mount already on the market? If cloned, did Celestron make any changes/upgrades to the design that enhances performance/reliability/functionality etc?

thanks, Tim

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

It's a clone of a clone of a Tak EM-200. As with most clones, it sells for much less than the original (in this case, it's about 1/4 the price) so I wouldn't look for much in the way of enhancements over the original. On the other hand, it has a dramatically more modern and powerful controller than the other clone, at a similar price. I consider that a substantial enhancement.

#3 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

It's a clone of a clone of a Tak EM-200.

John, what was the "original clone" of the Tak EM-200?

#4 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:26 PM

It's a clone of a clone of a Tak EM-200.

The Atlas.

#5 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:28 PM

It's a clone of a clone of a Tak EM-200. As with most clones, it sells for much less than the original (in this case, it's about 1/4 the price) so I wouldn't look for much in the way of enhancements over the original. On the other hand, it has a dramatically more modern and powerful controller than the other clone, at a similar price. I consider that a substantial enhancement.

Thanks for that clarification. I've owned many Tak mounts and scopes including at one point a EM200, and loved them all. I keep my Astro budget allot slimmer now-a-days and the CGEM price is attractive. I have been very pleased with all the Celestron SCT's I've had, at least one of each size right up through to the C-14, but never owned a Celestron mount. I'm wondering what disappointments await me should I buy a clone of a clone :question:

Tim

#6 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

The Atlas.

Ah...should have guessed! Thanks, Wade.

#7 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

"Clone" is probably not the best term to use as most folks think that there is something derogatory about a clone of a product. Plus a "clone" would be an exact copy and that's definitely not the case here.

A CGEM is undoubtedly a slightly improved derivative of the Atlas/EQ-6. Heavier/larger saddle (Losmandy D type), better hand controller (NexStar), better alt/az adjustment controls (knobs), etc. These things are generally what you would consider to be evolutionary improvements (much like the EQ-6N or whatever it's called).

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:30 AM

Can anyone clarify for me, is the new Celestron CGEM mount a original design from Celestron or is it a clone of an existing mount already on the market? If cloned, did Celestron make any changes/upgrades to the design that enhances performance/reliability/functionality etc?

thanks, Tim

It is an update to Celestron's parent company Synta's other popular mount, the EQ6 (aka "Atlas"). The Atlas was...er..."inspired" by Takahashi.

#9 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

thanks, Tim

It is an update to Celestron's parent company Synta's other popular mount, the EQ6 (aka "Atlas"). The Atlas was...er..."inspired" by Takahashi.

I like your choice of words :grin:
I wonder what Takahashi would call it :question: :lol:

#10 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:28 PM

There's almost nothing entirely new under the sun...

#11 Moggi1964

Moggi1964

Vendor - Astro Laugh

• Vendors

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:15 PM

thanks, Tim

I like your choice of words :grin:
I wonder what Takahashi would call it :question: :lol:

Flattery :)

#12 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

What can possibly be new about a GEM?

#13 hydrogia

hydrogia

Mariner 2

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

Nothing as far as the basic principle is concerned. Just like the wheel. But there are new developments in tires all the time.

You could make it out of high tech ceramics or eventually carbon nano-tubes. Give it a small polar scope camera and some servos, and it would accurately polar align itself no matter where you were.

Heck, if we could get anti-gravity technology sorted, it would be able to remain at the exact height and position you specify. Similar to how an optical mouse uses patterns to translate it's position to cursor movement. Except with remaining still rather than moving.

So to answer the question: lots of things, when the time is right.

And to comment on the parent statement: there are very little new concepts, most still in the heads of us dreamers. But there are lots of yet-to-be-developed things that many would consider 'new'.

The CGEM itself not to be one of them, although "All Star" is a pretty new development.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics