Photo

Help! Problem Updating Nexstar HC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

Could sure use some help! I am trying to update my Nexstar nand controls for both CGE and CG5A scopes so I can use the new Allstar Alignment routine. I downloaded the Celestron HC Update program, plugged in the HC to my serial port, powered up the HC (only had the electronics unit, so the RA and Dec cables not connected to motor ports)and held down the Info and Undo buttons as instructed, but neither of my HCs would enter into "Program Mode". Pretty sure my connection to the PC was OK, because I tried both the PC serial port on COM1 and my serial-to USB cable, which made COM3 active on the Celestron HC Update software. If anyone can help I'd be greatful.

Daryl

#2 Doug6952

Doug6952

Apollo

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

I belive you have to be holding down the buttons while you turn the mount on.

#3 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:35 PM

Hi,Doug:

Yeah, I had this right, held the two buttons during power-up of the mount. I am thinking that my cable may be defective or not the right configuration. I ordered a new one that is made specifically for the Celestron. I have so many cables that I'm not sure what the cable I'm using was originally for! May have different pin settings or may not be making contact, though it fits the HC just fine. I'm pretty sure that the HC must recognize the connection before it will initiate the download, and this is apparently not happening. So the cable may be the culprit. Thanks for your response!

Daryl

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

I belive you have to be holding down the buttons while you turn the mount on.

Yep. And the HCs have to be the programmable version, of course.

And, yep, you have to use the Celestron cable (or make one yourself).

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

Daryl,

You can check your cable(s) against the pinouts listed on Mike's site http://www.nexstarsi...m/PCControl.htm

Personally I'd verify that the PC to HC connection works with something like ASCOM and a freeware planetarium program before I'd try HCUpdate. Yes it's a bit more complicated (more s/w components) but I like to ensure a solid connection before I mess with firmware.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics