•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Repurposing a Fork Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:47 AM

I am considering getting an old Celestar Delixe mount to dismount the OTA, and then fabricateva trapeze mechanism to serve as a support for for small refractor and reflector scopes for astrophotoghraphy. I feel like I don't need the computer capabilities of the usual mounts, and I like the idea of being able to run for extended periods of time on a couple 9v batteries. All in all, I am thinking relatively light mount, no car batteries to lug, and good enough tracking for up to 500mm focal length images with 45- 60 second exposures.

Has anyone out there tried doing this? Are there terrifying gotcha details I am neglecting? Thank you for anything you can add.

#2 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

I think your biggest hurdle will be get the balance correct.

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

Hubble

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

Get an old Polaris mount with RA drive. This drive runs for hours on a single 9V Battery. It will be far more stable than a wedge mounted fork, and lighter to boot.

#4 AlienFirstClass

AlienFirstClass

Vendor

• -----

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:13 AM

I am considering getting an old Celestar Delixe mount to dismount the OTA, and then fabricateva trapeze mechanism to serve as a support for for small refractor and reflector scopes for astrophotoghraphy. I feel like I don't need the computer capabilities of the usual mounts, and I like the idea of being able to run for extended periods of time on a couple 9v batteries. All in all, I am thinking relatively light mount, no car batteries to lug, and good enough tracking for up to 500mm focal length images with 45- 60 second exposures.

Has anyone out there tried doing this? Are there terrifying gotcha details I am neglecting? Thank you for anything you can add.

I would like to see what you come up with...I too have a SCT mount that I would like to reuse.

#5 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:24 AM

Sometime back I deforked my old original Nexstar 8 OTA to use on another mount. I attached a Vixen type dovetail to the old mount:

Posted Image

Now I can mount my ST-80 and also a coming WO 102ED or any scope with a Vixen-style dovetail on this old mount.

Best,

#6 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

Thank you to everyone for the feedback. I have a couple of avenues I am going to continue on:

On the fork question, I am dropping the Celestar conversion, largely since it costs more to buy (ahem, a reason to think about that came up Monday) and still won't be as good as the NexStar 8 GPS I already own- I will just have to buck up and tote a battery or make sure I can park nearby. The conversion will use a carbon fiber structural tray I made using a cheap rectangular cake pan as a tool. I'll need to make adapters for the fork arms, and have already been making vixen dovetail clamps. I will be sure to post pix when it is together.

On the mobile battery powered mount, I already have a Vixen Polaris I adapted to CG-4 motors on both axes with a 10:11 gearing ratio change to go from the speed for the 130 tooth CG-4 motors to the speed for 144 tooth Vixen worm. However, it has fairly large periodic error at close to 80 seconds, peak to peak sinusoid movement, so I am planning to incorporate a mechanical first order drive corrector. I have already modified the mount for having a vixen dovetail clamp and a new lattitude adjuster (the original collapsed). It's a good mount, but putting two tubes on it seems to be a stretch. It does look really good with my white tube C5 on it- it would seem Celestron missed a match made in heaven, there.

I'll let you know how that goes.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics