If I remember correctly, the clutch lock "bolt" screws into the housing of the mount and eventually contacts the side of the worm wheel to drive the mount. There's a hard stop on the housing that blocks the clutch "handle" from rotating all the way around and thus keeps the clutch bolt in place. The clutch bolt has a square "head". The handle has an eight point cutout in it to facilitate adjustment of the handle position.
If you tighten the clutch enough to engage it fully then remove the handle and move it a notch or so in the direction that you used to tighten the clutch, this should give you more clutch bolt travel in the opposite direction when you go to unlock it. I'd think that this would solve your problem, but the handle may look a little funny when locked down.
If it doesn't fix the problem then it's probably not the clutch that's binding the RA axis.
I've tried that already and it didn't do anything.
I think I just have to live with it being a little tight. I checked a friends Atlas last night and it's stock, nothing touched inside, and it was a bit stiff also, not moreso then mine was. So I'm thinking I'm just trying to get it to be too perfect. But other ideas/experiences are welcomed.
This is becoming a good thread for people who decide in the future to rebuild their Atlas.