Atlas EQ-G Tracking Question

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

• Loc: Connecticut - U.S.

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:30 PM

If I remember correctly, the clutch lock "bolt" screws into the housing of the mount and eventually contacts the side of the worm wheel to drive the mount. There's a hard stop on the housing that blocks the clutch "handle" from rotating all the way around and thus keeps the clutch bolt in place. The clutch bolt has a square "head". The handle has an eight point cutout in it to facilitate adjustment of the handle position.

If you tighten the clutch enough to engage it fully then remove the handle and move it a notch or so in the direction that you used to tighten the clutch, this should give you more clutch bolt travel in the opposite direction when you go to unlock it. I'd think that this would solve your problem, but the handle may look a little funny when locked down.

If it doesn't fix the problem then it's probably not the clutch that's binding the RA axis.

I've tried that already and it didn't do anything.

I think I just have to live with it being a little tight. I checked a friends Atlas last night and it's stock, nothing touched inside, and it was a bit stiff also, not moreso then mine was. So I'm thinking I'm just trying to get it to be too perfect. But other ideas/experiences are welcomed.

This is becoming a good thread for people who decide in the future to rebuild their Atlas.

#27 mtb.daily

mtb.daily

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:12 PM

Randy, or anyone else, what is this Alt/Az mod that I have read about ?

-Jerry

#28 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:18 AM

Randy, or anyone else, what is this Alt/Az mod that I have read about ?

-Jerry

Behind the plastic "Atlas" cover on the mount, the side with the altitude markings on it, there's 3 tiny set screws that press agaist a plate inside the housing. Usuaully that's the reason many people have trouble adjusting the altitude bolts is because thise 3 screws are set really tight - the thing is, they're behind the plastic Atlas cap.

The mod is: The cap is taken off (both sides actually) - a small screw driver alone the edges with a light tap from a hammer usually does it. Once the Atlas plastic caps are removed you take off the big bolt. It simply unscrews with a wrench. Once that big bolt is out you take off the whole mount and you're left with just the housing, a metal plate and some plastic spacers that were inside. Next you remove the 3 tint set screws. Then you drill and tap those 3 holes where the set screws were so they can take a bigger screw. Then you drill 3 holes into the plastic cap - the one WITH the altitude markings, and make sure the hole correspond with the 3 newly drilled/tapped holes you made. Then you'd take off the grease on the metal plate and spacers that were inside. Reinstall everything and put the new bolts in. now those bolts are available to adjust. They're basically locking bolts for the altitude adjustment.

Check out a video here: Altitude/Azimuth Mod The "Atlas/EQ6/EQG Mounting Base" video

And check out steps 23-28 here: Alt/Azimuth Mod Directions

The video is great to see how/why it works and the direction page has a few pics of the steps I described above.

It made a huge difference in adjusting the altitude bolts when polar aligning.

Hope that helps.

#29 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:55 PM

TSS is gone. The owner disappeared. His PayPal has been shut down. Hopefully his site will be down soon as well.

Ed.

#30 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:41 AM

I am sorry if this is stupid proposal but is it possible that the RA index scale locking screw is causing the problem? At least in my heq5 if the ra index scale is locked with the setscrew this causes the RA axis to be stiffer.

#31 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:02 PM

Oh, I forgot about this thread... I should have come back before and cleared it up. I'm all set. I just had t play around with the mesh screws to adjust the alignment of the gears inside.

Mount works great now.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics