• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 codemonkey

codemonkey

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lafayette, CO

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

Furthermore, the original tripod legs, like most tripods, but unlike the wooden set, have a simple knob to turn for shortening or extending the legs, allowing a quick length change with a single hand, while the wood replacements have 2 simple screws with wing nuts on each leg making a length change in the legs a pain and requiring 2 hands, one on each side of the leg done twice for each leg. They are now sitting unused in my garage.

I have noticed the lack of a quick-turn knob for the wooden leg screws, but on the aluminum legs I could never get the knob on the aluminum legs tight enough to keep them from slipping. Very frustrating.

Neither are perfect, that's for sure. The II with the ability to put it on a real tripod is a big improvement.

#27 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny California

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

Having two sets of wing nuts on each leg is most reassuring. One thing I'd hate to witness is suddenly a tripod leg loosening up thus causing the entire mount to fall over.

Ever since I began using an adjustable height observing chair, I discovered I never have to readjust the height of the tripod.

#28 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

One other benefit of the wooden legs from Hands On Optics is the metal accessory tray. It's attached with three screws and once in place it really firms up the tripod. Nothing flexes.

#29 JAFE

JAFE

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Yavin IV rebel base,

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:11 AM

Furthermore, the original tripod legs, like most tripods, but unlike the wooden set, have a simple knob to turn for shortening or extending the legs, allowing a quick length change with a single hand, while the wood replacements have 2 simple screws with wing nuts on each leg making a length change in the legs a pain and requiring 2 hands, one on each side of the leg done twice for each leg. They are now sitting unused in my garage.

I think the same. The more simple you get the mount the more you use and enjoy it :grin:. I do prefer recomended to get a set of vibration supression pads, that´s works very good. I do not had any issues with the legs of my Porta I and I like my new G&G setup very much. :jump:

#30 JAFE

JAFE

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Yavin IV rebel base,

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:13 AM

One other benefit of the wooden legs from Hands On Optics is the metal accessory tray. It's attached with three screws

Oh no :shocked: more screws to deal with. Make it simple :jump:

#31 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:11 PM

The metal tray is anchored at three points. It stabilizes the already much more stable wooden legs. It takes me no more than a minute to attach the tray.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics