Photo

Statement by iOptron Corporation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 johnhou2020

johnhou2020

Vendor (iOptron)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

Statement by iOptron Corporation

Released on 04/06/2009

A few days ago, a review article by Mr. John Cameron on iOptron's MiniTower mount was posted on cloudynights.com. iOptron feels it is obligated to acknowledge it with the followings:

iOptron appreciates and cares about its customers’ feedbacks – both critiques and praises. We probably do so more on the former because that’s one way to improve ourselves.

Each of our products has been tested at our factory – at the component level before assembly, and at the final stage as a complete unit before packaging – according to a set of testing protocols. From time to time, we found ourselves going back to the production line to revise those standards based on customer feedbacks such as Mr. Cameron’s. Our goal is to make EVERY customer satisfied with his/her purchase.

iOptron stands 100% behind its products. Due to the aggressive product launch schedule to bring our unique and popular GoTo telescopes and mounts to the marketplace since our inception about 2 years ago (MiniTower was launched about 8 months ago), we have had insufficiencies from manual preparation to shipment packaging design. Because of this, we have been working diligently at our Customer Service department. While we take pride in our tech supports including 24/7 email support initiated in January 2009, we are terribly embarrassed by the unreturned phone calls mentioned in Mr. Cameron's article. We have no excuse here; we just have to work harder and smarter.

We have been in contact with Mr. Cameron in an effort to understand the root causes of his various observations. iOptron wants to assure the general public that we are not ignoring any quality control issues, and we back up our products with warranty and superb customer support. We are also grateful to many of our existing customers, without whose feedback, ideas, critics, iOptron will not be where it is today.

iOptron Corporation
6F Gill Street
Woburn, MA

Vice President of Marketing
Tel: 781.935.2800
Fax: 781.935.2860

#2 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

Well said John.

Thanks for weighing in.

Innovation and the demands of commercial exigency often collide. Call it "growing pains" or "cutting teeth". Key is doing as you are doing - keeping an ear to the ground and making changes needed as you learn of issues.

Good luck to you,

Jim

#3 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:57 PM

Note to John Hou,

As a customer who was ready to place an order just prior to reading John Cameron's review, I am very pleased that you took the time to address this situation here on Cloudy Nights. Doing so has given me a lot more confidence in the product and in your company. However, the real motivating factor as far as I'm concerned, is the efforts of one of your dealers, (of whom I'm sure you're aware) who is actually testing the Mini Tower prior to sending them to his clients. This service is invaluable and actually has motivated me to place my order this morning. This dealer should be commended highly!

#4 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

IMHO:

I do not know if it is there, because I did not look. However, a statement such as the above ought to be attached to the review where all that read the review can see the reply.

#5 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

IMHO:

I do not know if it is there, because I did not look. However, a statement such as the above ought to be attached to the review where all that read the review can see the reply.

I'm about to provide the next best thing. There will shortly be a post in the review discussion containing a link to this thread, so that folks will know to come here and see the response. :cool:

#6 Arizona-Ken

Arizona-Ken

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:38 PM

No matter who you are or what you do sometimes things happen where your customers are not satisfied. The good companies (and people) acknowledge their mistakes and try to make things right.

Certainly points should be given here to iOptron Corporation to acknowledge their troubles so publicly and to try to rectify the situation.

The proof, of course, is to satisfy John's concerns in a fair manner.

Arizona Ken

:salute:

#7 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:19 AM

Well Said. In some ways this is one of the very best tests of a company's commitment to satisfy customers.

#8 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

And I wish iOptron all the success in the world due specifically to this very attitude of wanting to make things right- and make their product live up to its full potential.

#9 Moggi1964

Moggi1964

Vendor - Astro Laugh

• Vendors

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

A refeshing change and very welcome Mr. Hou.

Wishing iOptron great success.

#10 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:23 PM

I agree with many of the other statements that this is refreshing to see. Every manufacturer will have problems at various times, but to see a statement as candid and to the point as this is welcome. Ioptron has offered a product with great potential (the MiniTower) and it fills a need at a very attractive price. Being able to provide a reliable and dependable mount with a high level of quality would give this firm a solid base in the mid-level GOTO mounts. I certainly hope they can be successful in achieving it.

#11 netwolf

netwolf

Vostok 1

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:52 AM

Excellent to see that some corporations are willing to admit when things go wrong and openly acknowledge that to
there customers.

And further I think John Cameron, has done an excellent job to make the right kind of noise to be heard. Without people who review we would not have change for the better. Well done John.

One sugestion i would make.
I have heard mention here on the forums of one vendor in the US who tests all the mounts before shipping to customer. Further i have read that they offer a service to completly tear down the mount and add some modifications that make it perform even better. What I would like to see is Ioptron adopting these modifcations within the base mount building process at factory.

Regards

#12 Talstarone

Talstarone

Lunar Man

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

Outstanding Post.
Its A Joy To Find A Company Eager To Address Any And All Issues As Mr.Hou Has.

Certainly A Breath Of Fresh Air In The Hobby.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics