Photo

Iota Orionis

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:37 PM

I seemed to have forgotten that when the moon goes from waxing gibbous to waning gibbous though many of the DSO's that I enjoy observing go away, double stars are still available. So last night besides spending time with M3 and M53 later that evening (around 11:00p.m. on). Were moving so I don't have my scanner so I did some digital practice.

First up as Iota Orionis. Information on Iota Orionis can be found here. I found it interesting the connection between this quadruple and Mu Columbae and AE Aurigae. Observations were made with a 13mm Stratus, 9mm Expanse and a 5mm Stratus using a 2x Shorty Barlow on my XT8. Seeing was a 7/10 and transparency was a 3/5.
All digital images were based on sketches made at the scope using GIMP.

Posted Image

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

Jay,

Beautiful sketch of of an impressive association. :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

Thank you Frank!

#4 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:06 AM

Nice batch of sketches Jay! I like your technique. :cool:

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:51 AM

Jay,

A beautiful and accurate observation of Iota Orionis. I see that you are using Gimp very nicely to make your observations. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#6 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

Nice, Jay! I particularly like the colors you use. As I view this and other similar renderings of yours on my brother's Mac, I see very large, palletized artifacts from the blurring you apply. Depending on the star brightness (size), these 'bullseye' patterns can be almost as large as the entire FOV circle. Perhaps this monitor has its brightness and/or gamma set so as to render a bright display suitable for the daylight which streams into the room.

To keep this artifact in check, I recommend using a slightly brighter sky background, possibly in conjunction with the addition of a *small* amount of polychromatic noise. Try out some variations, then temporarily increase the overall image brightness so as to see the darker, lower contrast features. If undesirable artifacts are now suppressed, then go back to the original brightness as intended. All should now be OK for all viewers.

About iota Orionis. The article you linked to didn't mention that it's thought that the iota Ori system, mu Col and AE Aur might have belonged to the Trapezium cluster inside M42. The reason the iota Ori system hasn't been flung at near the velocities of the other two far-flung stars is because of its rather larger mass (it being a multiple).

#7 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

Glenn,

Thank you! On my MacBook Pro I had the same image and was unsure how to decrease the effect. Everything was set to its lowest settings but the 'bullseye" kept coming. I'll try using a brighter background with a very small amount of polychromatic noise. I appreciate you feedback and sorry it took so long to reply. We're moving this week and internet access moved to the new house and I've been repairing, painting so my time online has been limited. I did get in an excellent session of both double's and galaxies so when I get some time next week I'll try to do some up . . . well, maybe the week after as next week were in Vegas for a family vacation. Thanks again!

#8 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:37 PM

Jay,

Wonderful sketch and I love the colors. Until I read the last two posts, I hadn't noticed the artifacts, I just thought you were trying to capture some faint nebulosity around the stars.

But after looking at it more closely I see a very diffuse and broad diffraction pattern on my monitor. I kind of like that, even though it might not be what you actually see at the scope.

Thanks for sharing.

#9 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

Very nice indeed , enjoyed looking at that

Dee

#10 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:18 PM

Jay,

These are wonderfully rendered sketches. beautiful and realistic colors and accurately drawn star positions. I've looked at your recent set of doubles and have been very impressed with your skills. Excellent work!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics