Photo

CGEM Mount question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:23 PM

I am going to order one of these mounts. I have read some of the posts on this subject and the thing that is very confusing to me is the tube mounting hardware that I will need. It seems like most of the scopes being used with this mount are SCT's. My question is, what exactly will I need to mount my Newtonians to it and where to get them from. My thanks to anyone who can give me info on this subject.. Charlie

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:40 PM

The CGEM accepts any Losmandy "D" series dovetail plate. You may already have what you need. ?? Or just a new dovetail plate to mount your rings on.

#3 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:50 PM

I have been using a CG mount. I just need the plate to mount rings to since they are different. Thanks for reply. I just want to get the right plate.

#4 Calvin Sereda

Calvin Sereda

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Light Polluted South Florida

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

You can get dovetail plates from either ADM or Losmandy

#5 ssouza

ssouza

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:06 AM

...or ScopeStuff

Steve

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

...or ScopeStuff Steve

Actually Jim doesn't sell Losmandy D type plates by themselves, he does sell a nice D to Vixen adapter though.

Charlie, you have a few options ...

1) Add a D to Vixen adapter to the CGEM saddle. That Scopestuff one is fine for longer Vixen bars like those on your Newtonians, but since it's actually two small Vixen saddles watch it when you're mounting a scope with a short Vixen bar ... you won't have as much front to rear adjustment as you would with the larger ADM or Losmandy saddles. At $99 the Scopestuff adapter will be the least expensive of these options.

2) Replace the stock CGEM saddle with the new ADM model that can handle both types of dovetails. If you are happy with the current bars on your Newtonians this will be best option since you won't have to deal with the in between adapter. The new ADM saddle is $159.

3) Convert your Newtonians over to the heavier Losmandy D plates and use the stock CGEM saddle. If you were/are concerned about the robustness of the current bars on your scopes then moving up to the larger D plates would be a good move. This will however be the most expensive option.

#7 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

Mark. I think I will go with option 2. What is the mod. # of the ADM saddle you are talking about. Is it the one for the EQG? (part no. DUAL-SAD-EQG) Or something else. This is very confusing, sorry.

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

No problem ... it is a bit confusing the way Anthony's website has evolved. The new stuff is under Miscellaneous.

http://www.admaccess.../CGEM_KNOBS.htm and then look for DUAL-CGEM-SAD

#9 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

Thanks Mark. What's the consensus on the orange knobs vs. the black ones? Lot's of choices. I think the confusion is subsided now, at least until the mount arrives.

#10 ned_l

ned_l

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: north carolina

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

Also, further exploration of the ADM site shows he also has a D to Vixen adapter for about $100

http://admaccessorie...cts/LOS-VIX.htm

#11 Kenny2004

Kenny2004

Vendor - Icodome

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:02 AM

Which would be more stable/secure and the better way though?

A. Replace the dovetail of the scope itself.

or

B. Use an adapter on the mount (ie. D to Vixen)?

#12 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

I'm going to buy ADM's dual saddle because I don't want to constantly switch my rings to just one plate. For my large scope I will use a 15" ADM Losmandy style plate, for my smaller scopes I can use the vixen style that I already have. ADM's plate is stronger than the Vixen style which is what I will need for my longer, heavier scope.

#13 donsinger1

donsinger1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

I am going for the dual saddle too...it seems to be a better alternative to the stock saddle. The Stock Saddle is not very well machined and the fit, though solid and secure, is slightly denting the edges of my saddle plates. The added plus with the ADM dual saddle is that at least with the Vixen dovetail, you do not need another piece of equipment and it's added weight...and weight, when imaging, is always a consideration!

Don

#14 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

Yeah. I have seen pictures posted by others showing the poor fit. Not good. ADM's saddle looks like a quality item. And the anodizing is a plus also. The orange knobs look nice too! Don, how do you like the mount other than the saddle. I put in my order for one the other day. No telling when it will arrive. Looks like a lot of mount for the money.

#15 dickbill

dickbill

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

Which would be more stable/secure and the better way though?

A. Replace the dovetail of the scope itself.

or

B. Use an adapter on the mount (ie. D to Vixen)?

I'd say a), replace the dovetail on scope itself.

It must be possible to unscrew the vixen dovetail of most celestron OTA and replace it by a CGE dovetail.
That should be a 10 minutes surgery, plain and simple.
But it's strange that this option has never been discussed by users and everybody seem to favor the adaptor solution.
I wonder why.

#16 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

Well it does get discussed, just have a look at my first post in this thread ... option #3.

Celestron apparently doesn't sell the CGE dovetails by themselves but Losmandy D compatible plates are of course available from many vendors. It really is usually quite simple to swap a vixen dovetail for a D type plate. They key is to have the right radius blocks with the correct length bolts.

In the case of a single scope it would be less expensive to swap a D plate for a vixen dovetail bar compared to replacing the stock CGEM saddle with that nice ADM model. If you have two or more scopes it becomes cheaper to replace the stock saddle.

I really agree that more folks should consider the upgrade to D plates, they are a much more solid option and I think they should be standard equipment on any scope heavier than say 15lbs. Unfortunately that stock CGEM does not appear to be cast that accurately (it's not machined) so the ideal setup is IMHO the appropriately sized dovetail bar/plate on each scope and the ADM dual saddle.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics