CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LXD75 all wacky...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 MtnGoat

MtnGoat

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

So, I'm getting weird goings on with my LXD75. I do a three star alignment and the polar report tells me I'm two degrees off in one direction and a half degree off in the other. That's weird. Last time I got the 'less than 5'' message and I haven't changed anything.

I go use it and the GOTO's are terrible. All a couple degrees off.

Next night, I go out and do a three star again, this time I get the 'less than 5'' off message, and the GOTO's are dead on.

Anyone else run into anything like this? I checked the encoders last time I had it apart and there is no crud in there at all. I did however do a drive cal before the align the last time, however.

#2 fetoma

fetoma

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

ALWAYS train your drives and calibrate the motors EVERY time out before aligning.

#3 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:28 AM

Hmmm, when things get whacky (and you've got a solid power supply) it's usually time for a reset and start over.

As footnote, I just use my polar scope to align my mount (and the polar scope as been aligned as per the manual) and a two-star alignment. When I'm done for the night I park my scope and bring things back inside. The next time out I just polar align, GoTo a bright star, and synch the mount. No other alignment. I calibrate and re-train maybe once a year and I re-do the two-star alignment every couple of months or if I do something stupid that messes up the alignment.

If you're looking at the encoders, make sure there's nothing hiding between the light source and the detector; the encoder wheel itself might be clean but there could be a dust bunny stuck between the emitter/detector.

#4 MtnGoat

MtnGoat

Vanguard

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

ah, good point john. hadn't thought about making sure the detectors are clean on both sides.

this setup is fixed on a pier, and left polar'ed when I'm done, so that eliminates set up error as a problem here. I pull the OTA and cover the mount after I park it.

Currently I have two OTA's I run on it, an SN8 and a 120mm F5 refractor. The SN8 has been getting most of the play lately, and I usually retrain when I switch OTA's because I need to rebalance anyway and I might as well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics