TV102 on Half Hitch smoothness Youtube video link

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 swsantos

swsantos

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

Here is a photo of my TV 102 on a Half Hitch. It's movements are as smooth and effortless as the Feathertouch focuser on the scope itself.

If you want to see a short video of how effortlessly it moves with great stability I put it on Youtube

TV102 on HH video
Yes it moves that easily with one finger and you can track with high power manually or with its great slow motion controls.

It is indeed like no other IMHO.

Steve

Attached Files

#2 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

Is that the Oberwerk tripod? How is it for support?

#3 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: Wells, Maine 04090

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

Steve,

I'm hoping to put a FS-102 or TSA-102 onthe Half Hitch. Can you comment on the stability of the TV102; damping time; jitters while focusing etc?

Your setup looks very fine indeed :jump:

thanks, Tim

#4 swsantos

swsantos

Mariner 2

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:25 PM

Yes its an Oberwerk blem special from Bigbinoculars.com and it works great. Only $79 and still yet to find the "blem". Its nicely stable

#5 swsantos

swsantos

Mariner 2

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

The action of the slow motion controls is much like the Crayford action of the Feathertouch. Very little force/torque is needed to move the scope. Since it moves so easily with no starting friction there is minimal less than a second jitter and it is slight. You can also focus under high power while maintaing view intead of focus, wait for scope stop and focus again like my AT Voyager. I can also track manually without the slow motion controls using a 5mm NT6 (82 AFOV) and with some more experience I should also be able to track manually with the Nagler zoom at 5mm (50 AFOV). I did not expect for it to be as easy to move the scope accurately manually as it is with the controls. The analogy that comes to mind is that the HalfHitch glides like a new laser mouse does across a new mousepad compared to an old heavy ball mouse with a wire. The feeling of being able to accurately glide it to a position like sliding a mouse and having it stay put where you want it precisely when you let it go is striking. None of that overshoot/undershoot fiddling inherent in friction/backlash setups. I think its the lack of starting friction to overcome when you initiate a movement flowing into the same fluid force needed to keep it moving. Its as if the scope is suspended in mid air waiting to be turned on its balance axis. I know that sounds like hyperbole but it is accurate.

I imagine it should be well within its weight limits with any 102mm scope. This TV102 is pretty heavy with its starbeam, Feathertouch focuser, and heavy eyepieces ie 26mmT5. The mount does not feel like its operating near any weight limit, indeed the designer says it will work with an 8" SCT and 115mm refractor and I believe it.

#6 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:58 AM

Sweet. What a nice setup.

#7 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

Can the mount be bought w/o the Sky Commander DSC's?
Looks like a wonderful set-up. I'm especially fond of the smooth slow motion controls.

#8 swsantos

swsantos

Mariner 2

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

Yes it can be bought without the DSC and then added later apparantly. I was sceptical about DSC coming from an LX200GPS go-to but the DSC is as accurate. There is also something more connected with the stars when you have to point the scope yourself under the DSC guidance as opposed to having the scope do all the work. And obviously the quietness (no noise) of DSC lends a more serene feel to observings instead of the coffee grinder whine of the Meade go-to.

You can see all the details at www.halfhitchtelescope.com

#9 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

T Its as if the scope is suspended in mid air waiting to be turned on its balance axis. I know that sounds like hyperbole but it is accurate.

thanks Steve, I'm looking forward to my Mark III

Tim

#10 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:28 AM

Is that the Oberwerk tripod? How is it for support?

Steve, what sort of adapter was needed to attach the Half Hitch to the Oberwerk tripod? Off the shelf? Custom made?

Tim

#11 swsantos

swsantos

Mariner 2

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

The Oberwek came with the right adapter. It came with a standard plate and allen bolt that threads directly into the HalfHitch. I have since had Charles from HalfHitch make me a start knob so I can use it tool free, but what came with the Oberwerk werked fine.

#12 Denimsky

Denimsky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: BC, Canada

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

Can the mount be bought w/o the Sky Commander DSC's?
Looks like a wonderful set-up. I'm especially fond of the smooth slow motion controls.

Clay. I bought mine without the Sky Commander DSC because I already owned one. I got mine with the encoders installed though. Charles doesn't post the price of the mount without the DSC but if you email him, he will tell you the price. His customer service is top notch so he will answer all your questions very promptly.

You won't be disappointed by the Half Hitch mount. My HH Mark II supports TSA-102 and TMB105 rock stable yet with perfectly balance in both axis without any friction applied. It is light weighted as well. Charles's main focus is making the perfect grab & go mount without any compromises. The new MarkIII has pretty nice improvements over the Mark II as well.

#13 Denimsky

Denimsky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

Steve.

Thank you for the very nice mini review.

Is it possible for you to post the video on YouTube?
I've never posted a video on the YouTube so I'm not sure how difficult it is but that way more people can watch the video.

Clear Skies

#14 swsantos

swsantos

Mariner 2

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

Now why didn't I think of that? Yes it was easy. I have edited the original post.

Thanks!

Steve :foreheadslap:

#15 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny California

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

Wow! That looks like an incredibly smooth mount! :jump:

#16 Denimsky

Denimsky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

Thank you for the video Steve.

#17 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

• Loc: Far South of the flyover city of Chicago

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

Looks VERY smooth and easy to slew around BUT that finger doing the pushing is huge so we have to take that into consideration!
Steve, Awesome set up you have there
m2

#18 Denimsky

Denimsky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:33 PM

Tim.

Congratulation on you Half Hitch Mark III :jump:

My mark II is a near perfect grab&go mount but Charles always listens to the customers and improved his mounts and Mark III seems even better(Mark II plus kit will be available for existing mark II users)

You won't be disappointed by the mount.

#19 swsantos

swsantos

Mariner 2

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

The finger is actually quite small as it is attached to a 5 foot 6 inch man that wears adult small gloves.

#20 Waduino

Waduino

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

I'd love to see a similar video with your eye at the eyepiece and your hands on the motion control knobs. I've been wondering all along about the reach required. Apparently it's quite comfortable, but I'd like to see out of curiosity.
Wad.

#21 Denimsky

Denimsky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

The new Mark III will add a clutch hub to the motion control knob for us to insert a extension lever. It will help long scope users.

#22 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New England

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

I'd love to see a similar video with your eye at the eyepiece and your hands on the motion control knobs. I've been wondering all along about the reach required. Apparently it's quite comfortable, but I'd like to see out of curiosity.
Wad.

The video is nice but there's a lot more to this type of mount than basic movements. What happens when you take the 26mm Nagler out of the diagonal, when the scope is pointed low on the horizon - does it move or stay put? That's what I really want to know. I use a 35mm Panoptic as a finder eyepiece and routinely switch between it and tiny orthos. If the scope moves in this situation it's nearly useless for me.

I'm using an f/9 Vixen 102 so the focuser is a long way from the midpoint of the tube.

I'm considering upgrading from a Teegul. But I like the way you can tighten the tension on the Teegul so that it never moves with eyepiece changes, or even taking the heavy diagonal out.

Also with the Teegul the slo-mo knobs are right next to each other so you can easily operate both with one hand. For longer OTA's you can put slo-mo cables on it and the two slo-mo handles are right next to the focuser.

But one problem with the Teegul is that it doesn't lift the scope high enough off the tripod. And also the scope's weight is always off to one side of the mount and tripod, which is definitely bad for stability. The half hitch solves those two problems.

#23 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

It costs a lot of $$ so it better be good.

#24 Quintessence

Quintessence

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:06 PM

Scott,

Here are the basic answers to your questions:

The Mark III Half Hitch includes provision for clutched extension levers on the motion control knobs. One advantage of extesnion levers over flexible cables is that they increase the effective mechanical advantage of the drives. The levers can also be customized to your particular scope -- for example, allowing you to bring the motion controls within a few inches of the focuser knob so that all your controls are placed together.

The caliper disc brake holds the scope on target during eyepiece changes. Because it's a true disc brake, tightening or releasing the brake does not cause the scope to turn accidentally. Also, because the motion controls are based upon roller drives (like a premium focuser), there are no clutch pressures to set or overcome.

Since I make the Half Hitch, I will leave it to others to supply editorial opinions -- but I think that's the basic data you wanted.

Charles

#25 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New England

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:51 PM

Charles, thanks for the information. I'll do some more reading on the yahoo group to research this too. Definitely sounds totally different than the Teegul, not sure yet if it's what I want or not.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics